Chapter 26

Hey guys!!!

Sorry its taken me ages to update again, I just found this chapter hard to write for some reason, and it took me a while to be ok with it.

I'm sorry, I really don't think it's up to my usual standard, but it will have to do for now, I might go back and edit it later on.

This chapter is dedicated to @hannah_tomlinson99 she's new to Wattpad and she's really sweet, so go and follow her!!!

Thanks for reading and for all of the incredible support I've received on this and I'm sorry if this chapter is a bit of a let down :(

Lucy xxx

(Y/n)'s P.O.V. 

We’d been waiting for a while now. Our attempts at small talk had failed and we’d resorted back to the awkward silence, none of us willing to talk. Louis was holding Tally’s hand as she leaned her head against him, and Harry was sat in the sand a few meters away from the rest of us. Zayn had put his arm around me and was holding onto my waist tightly, pulling me against his body.

Eventually Niall showed up, head bowed down, dragging his feet. Zayn dropped his hand from my waist quickly, not wanting to wind Niall up any more.

"Hey, Niall, are you ok?"

He looked tired, worn out, numb; but not angry. Just completely, utterly exhausted. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," he replied, looking at the ground.

"You three need to talk," Liam said, appearing behind Niall and gently ushering him towards Zayn and I. 

Niall sighed and walked slowly towards us, slumping his shoulders, not making any eye contact.

"Come on Louis, let’s get an ice cream," Harry said quickly, catching on to the need of a private conversation and tugging on Louis' arm.

"But I want to-"

"No you don't!" Liam interrupted, putting his hands on Tally's shoulders and steering her in the right direction after Harry, who was dragging Louis along behind him.

Zayn, Niall and I watched them disappear into the crowds, staying in stony silence for a few moments.

I twisted a strand of hair around my finger, knowing that they were both looking at me. I bit my lip, staring at the ground, and feeling my cheeks glow red. I’ve never been good at handling this kind of situation.

"So..." Zayn began, trying to break the awkwardness. 

"Look, guys, are you going to get together or not, because if you are, I need to know so that I can move on," Niall looked resigned, fed up even. I knew how he felt. A couple of hours of this situation and I was completely worn out.

"Um, well we haven't really had a chance to talk about it..." I said slowly.

"Well then, why don't you talk about it now?" Niall retorted, raising his eyebrows. 

I looked up at Zayn and he nodded his head towards Niall, gesturing for me to go over to him. I bit my lip and walked cautiously towards him. 

"Niall, look. I can see how much stress this is causing you and Zayn – hell it’s causing me a lot of stress too! - and I'm so sorry because it’s all my fault. I wish this wasn't happening, but it is, and we've got to figure out a way that we will all be happy," I swallowed, pushing what I wanted to the back of my mind and trying to focus on what was best for these two guys. "Maybe... Maybe if it’s going to be this difficult, then I should just date neither of you." Yes, that wasn't going to make me completely happy, I would always be wondering what would have happened if I had picked one or other of them, but it was the only solution I could think of.

I looked from Niall to Zayn. Zayn looked sad, but was trying to keep his emotions to himself; typical Zayn really. Niall looked as though he was still unable to feel any emotion.

Zayn nodded his head slightly. "Maybe that would be best,"

Niall snapped his head up quickly, looking me in the eyes for the first time since he'd come back with Liam. "No, I don't- I don't want to come in the way of your relationship! I don't want to ruin things for you. You two date and... And be happy together ok?" He swallowed and pulled his hand through his hair, messing it up. "You'll er, you'll make a great couple. We can just be friends, hm (Y/n)?"

Well, Niall definitely knew how to confuse me. Not long ago, he'd been telling me how much he wanted me, and now he was letting me go. I didn't know what had caused him to change his mind, but I was glad that I no longer had to make the choice.

Niall turned and began walking away from us.

"Niall!" Zayn shouted after him. Niall looked back warily. "Thank you so much,"

Niall shrugged. "It's fine. Just treat her right, ok? Keep her happy. Or else you'll have me to answer to,"

I couldn't hold back any longer. I ran after Niall. I don't know what I was planning to do, I just had to get to him. 

I practically winded him when I smashed into his side, smothering him with a huge hug. 

"Thank you," I whispered, burying my head into his neck. He tried to push me off for the first few seconds but then he relaxed into the hug, rubbing comforting circles on my back. 

"I just want you to be happy," he replied simply.

But the problem was, I had this awful feeling that something bad was about to happen, that this happiness couldn't last long. 

A feeling that I would never be quite content, no matter which of these two amazing boys I was with.

Niall's P.O.V.

I don't know why I feel so disappointed. Maybe a part of me had hoped that she'd choose me over Zayn. But I don't know why I'd thought that. 

I felt like my heart was being ripped out, like I was slowly losing a grip on myself. What had happened to the care-free, happy-go-lucky boy I was a year or so ago? I was slowly falling apart.

Giving up on (Y/n) was like someone clawing at everything I was, until there was nothing left but a few brief remnants of who I really was.

I don't know why the hell I feel so disappointed. I should be used to being second best by now.

I'm just going to make it clear to you that this is NOT the end of Niall. Far from it. This is only temporary because I still don't know who she will end up with.

Once again, I am very sorry about this crappy chapter, please forgive me!

For the next chapter, the target is...

7 votes

5 comments (as per usual, it doesn't count if the same person comments five times!)

5 new followers

Thank you for reading. I love you <333