Prologue

The sweet sound of a baby's first cries echoed throughout the castle walls. The moment was perfect as Queen Lilith of Susurros held her only son in her arms, admiring his soft brown eyes. The King appeared by her side, eager to see his first born child. They had both been waiting for this moment for a long time. Queen Lilith was exhausted, her age causing many physicians to believe her at risk for many complications. But she had succeeded, after years and years of heartache and grief, Queen Lilith had provided a son for her husband.

The moment--though brief in its perfection--was ruined by Destiny rushing into the room. Both the King and Queen looked up in confusion. They had not been expecting her. 

Destiny curtsied quickly before she hustled over to the Queen's bedside. "Your Majesty, pardon my intrusion. I have had a vision and it is vital I act quickly upon it."

"What is it?" The King asked.

Destiny eyed the babe, coddled in his mother's arms. "It is about your son."

Instinctively, the Queen held her baby closer. "What of him?"

The Seers were not known for their sympathy and understanding. They were harsh and rather unfeeling at times. In that moment, Destiny knew not the tender feelings and worries of a mother. She knew only what her visions told her, which was to act fast before the future was made a mess of. "I must take him away, quickly!"

The Queen, her emotions already heightened, began to weep. "Take him away? For what reason?" The miracle of this pregnancy had come right when the King and Queen had given up their hope for children. At her age, it was a miracle she was even able to conceive. 

Now the thought of this strange woman taking her child away not only crushed her very soul but also angered her greatly. Despite hours of painful labor, Queen Lilith suddenly felt her protective motherly instincts giving her strength to fight off any person attempting to steal her only happiness. Though normally a sweet and docile soul, the Queen felt prepared to do anything necessary to keep her baby safe and in her own arms. 

The King put a hand on his wife's shoulder, sensing her unease. While he was always the voice of reason, the doubt was still evident on his face. "You know it is unwise to question the Seers."

"Well I won't let her take him away, most certainly not without any explanation." A tear slipped down her cheek and onto the child's forehead. The baby's eyes winced tighter shut, as if he could feel the raw emotion from the teardrop and it disturbed him greatly. The Queen gently wiped it away as more tears fell. 

"There is no time to argue. I have seen what I have seen. You of all people should know that I cannot share these visions. The consequences would be horrendous. All you need know is that I must take him away from this place." Destiny's faded eyes stared desperately into the Queen's. She did not want to take the baby by force, but she would if she had to.

The Queen whimpered softly. "He's only just been born. I haven't even had five minutes with him. Yet you expect me to hand him to you, not knowing if I will ever see him again?" 

The old Seer sighed. "I understand what I am asking of you is difficult to say the least. My sister has talked of your struggles to conceive a child. Believe me when I tell you I wish this was not necessary, but alas, I'm afraid it is. Please know that he will return to you one day."

The King perked up at the thought. "When will we see him again? Soon?"

Destiny shook her head. "I must not say, I may have already spoken too much. Please," she said softly. "It is vital I take the child now."

The Queen shook with sorrow and held her baby closer to her chest. She whispered into his ear and kissed his sweet little forehead. Then she carefully handed him to the King. "Goodbye my little Gabriel," she said in farewell. 

Once the King kissed his only heir and squeezed his little hand once more, he finally gave the baby to Destiny.

The Dragon Bond: Heirs of LyraOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara