Chapter 5 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 5

     I exited the school, and heard the sound of Bailey running after me.

     "Hey! Keaton!" she called. "Wait up!" I stopped walking and waited for her to catch up. After she was standing in front of me, she brushed her fingers through her silky, dark brown hair, that still managed to look nice after running to me, and began talking about the party.

     "Okay, I could so tell you were lying about the whole babysitting thing. I mean, everyone could. You have to come to the party! I mean, you could even meet a really cute guy or something." she winked. I bit my tongue, being reminded of Noah, with just that.

     "I don't know..." I trailed off. 

     "Keaton," she addressed, and shook my shoulders. "Snap out of it. You are coming to the party!"

     "I, uh, don't have anything to wear," I said, hoping she would let that go. It was a terrible excuse because I knew she would suggest that we go shopping. Much to my surprise (actually not at all), Bailey had proclaimed that we go shopping.

     "I'll even buy your clothes if that means you go to the party. Please!" she begged. I shrugged. I guess one party really wouldn't hurt that much. As long as I don't go to anymore after this one. "Fine," I said, quietly, admitting defeat.

     "What? Really?" She exclaimed. 

     "Yeah, I'll go," I shrugged. She jumped up and down. "Yay! I will come to your house at like 4:30 today and pick you up, then we can go to my favorite place—the mall!" she squealed, but before she pranced away, I let her punch her number in my phone.

     I walked to my car and hopped in. When I went to pull out, I looked to my right to see Will and Andrea just finishing a kiss. I smiled at them. They looked so happy. I mean, they were basically like perfect for each other. Both tall, both kind people, from what I could tell. Thinking about them made me get this feeling.

     I cleared my throat, hoping it would go away, but it didn't. It was difficult to describe. It was almost like a yearning feeling, like I was vaguely jealous. I felt like I needed someone to want me, and no matter how many times I told myself to stop feeling that way, it didn't listen. I couldn't help but feel like I needed a boyfriend, too, like I needed someone to kiss me.

     Trying my best to ignore the weird feeling, I turned on the radio and finally got on the traffic-filled road. All the cars were exiting the school, so the roads around it were filled with students and parents anxiously waiting to go home. It probably took about ten minutes to get out of there. I reached my house in another ten or fifteen. I pulled my car into my spot in the garage and went inside to set all my stuff down.

     "Keaton?"  I heard my mom call. I responded with a 'yes' and told her I would be leaving again to go to a mall and that I had been invited to a party.

     "A party! Oh, how exciting! You seem to be settling in well. Your sister really likes it here, too. I'm glad you guys are liking this place."

      "I never said I liked it here," I sighed. "I'm still angry how we have to move again after this year ends, Mom."

     "Keaton, we've talked about this."

     "Mom, I have friends who never ever talk to me again after I leave! I understand you never got to travel and you love it, but at least you had long-term friends throughout your school years! I'd much rather stay in one place and have close friends, then move all around and not have any friends whatsoever. I don't even want to try and make friends anymore because I don't want to leave them." My mother just looked at me, with a apologetic gaze. I sighed. "I got to go get ready. Sorry for bringing this up."