Chapter 31 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 31

He stood there looking at me, with a pain in his eyes. I knew I had to apologize for agreeing with Hannah's stupid plan, so I spoke first.

"Noah," I addressed, giving myself time to think. "I know you saw me kiss Ray and everything, but really, I felt nothing with him. I know Hannah explained to you the plan" -he nodded-"and I know it was wrong to do that to you. But it did win your team the state trophy, so maybe it'll be easier for you to forgive me?"

He was thinking about it. His eyes averted mine and looked down at the floor. I took in a breath and bit my whole bottom lip, waiting for a response. Then he looked up and nodded and said, "For all that I did to you, I think I deserve it anyway. So, yeah, I forgive you. Thanks to Hannah for coming up with that plan. It worked."

I sighed a breath of relief. He was about to open his arms to hug me, but then stopped, realizing it wasn't okay yet, so I just changed the subject. "I have some news to tell you. I just wanted you to know first."

His eyes locked with mine after hearing that last sentence, like he was surprised I would want him knowing first over my friends. "What?" he asked, with a tinge of excitement.

"Maybe I'll just wait till later..." I teased. His face dropped into a sad look.

"Come on, just tell me now," he begged.

"So," I said, as I brushed a piece of hair behind my ear. "My sister and I have been convincing my parents to stay here, as you know, because we both really like it here," I explained. He just nodded, his eyes filled with eagerness. "And I wouldn't want to leave all the friends I love behind while I packed up and moved to Vermont."

"That's comforting," he smiled. Again, he looked like he was about to hug me, but I gave him a look saying not to. He thankfully got the hint.

"Can I finish?" I pleaded.

He nodded. "Sorry. You know I get distracted by your beauty," he whispered. I rolled my eyes as I felt my cheeks turn a bit pink. I didn't really appreciate the flirting as much as I used to, but I knew it was just because he was trying to get me back, so I just dismissed it.

"Anyway, my parents have made their final decision," I told him. I paused, just to add a bit of suspense. "They've decided the want to stay here for another year, so I can finish high school here and everything."

Noah's jaw dropped. "Wait, are you serious?" he exclaimed. I nodded, my lips breaking out into a huge grin. His arms arose like he was going in for the hug and this time I let him. He pulled me closer and embraced me tightly. "I can't believe it."

"Well, it's real," I giggled.

"Come over to my house after this. We can invite everyone to celebrate," he suggested. I thought about it. "That way you could tell everyone else what the news was and we could just have a great time." Noah waited anxiously for my reply.

"Okay, fine."

"Let's tell everyone, then," he said excitedly. He walked away quickly, leaving me behind still standing where we were.

I smiled, but somewhere deep inside, I was still really suspicious of him. Was he only acting this nice because he was hiding something? I didn't know what to think of him just yet. Kayla didn't even feel bad at all for what happened now and she was crying near my bed when I was in the hospital, so I really did not trust her. I know Noah looked terrible that week after our break up, but still, I got this feeling of uneasiness inside me.

I wasn't even sure if I still loved him anymore; what if I was too scared to admit to myself that I really didn't? And if I still did? What would I do then? Dating him now just really was not the right option for me. At all. My trust for him was almost completely gone in the romantic sense. I wouldn't be able to deal with being cheated on again.