Chapter 7 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 7

     We left Bailey's house in Hannah's car because it was the biggest and it could hold all five of us. Everyone else just got dropped off by their parents earlier, so no one had to worry about their car at Bailey's house. 

     The neighborhood we turned into was called Plumwood and each house had a bunch of land. It was a really pretty neighborhood. We drove far back into the neighborhood and eventually turned up a long driveway with a gate at the front of it. It was a super long driveway. Noah's house was far from the street, which was good for parties meant no neighbors to be worried about.

     His house was as nice as the neighborhood. The door was wide open, with music blaring and people in the front and backyard, talking with their friends. We walked up the doorstep with many awkward stares. The house was filled with craziness. It smelled like alcohol, and I knew that meant trouble. If my parents found out I was underage drinking, they would kill me.

     Noah was standing near the door, talking to a group of guys. He pointed to us, then all his friends turned around and smiled brightly.

     "Hey, guys!" he called, and gave each of us a hug, even Bailey, his ex. She smiled, but I could tell she was uncomfortable. I guess he was a little tipsy. Noah turned to me and introduced his friends.

     "This is Logan, Matt, and Preston." He said, pointing to them individually. A smile and a small wave was all I gave to the boys. They were pretty good-looking, but not nearly as hot as Noah.

     "This is Keaton, the girl I was telling you about." Noah introduced. My heart skipped a beat. Noah was talking about me to his friends? I mean, it probably didn't mean anything, but did it? I wasn't sure.

     We all stood there quietly until Hannah broke the ice. "Well, I'm going to find Peter now. I think I see some of his friends over there. See ya later!" she yelled over the music. Everyone watched her as she disappeared into the crowd.

     I stood next to Noah as we were talking in our little circle. He kept glancing at me, for split seconds then turned back to whoever was talking.  All we were talking about was Hannah and Peter.

     "Yeah, Hannah likes Peter, again," Kayla explained to the guys, trying to act like some know-it-all. "She told us while we were getting ready."

     "I wonder if Peter still misses her. They had a rough fight before they broke up," Noah replied. No one answered and we stood there silently. This time, Logan broke the ice.

     "This is getting boring. Come on, guys. Let's go dance!" Logan yelled happily.

     "Um, I'll catch up later," Preston announced to them, then grabbed my arm. I jumped a little. He was a bit forceful for just meeting me a few minutes ago. "Can we talk for a second?"

     "Yeah, sure," I said, following him to a quiet part of the house, the basement. There were some people there, just having fun and playing some games, like pool. We stopped by a wall and then he took a deep breath.

     "You look really nice tonight," he said looking down at my outfit.

     I blushed. "Thanks. Bailey helped me."

     He smiled. "So, how do you like the party?" he asked, fumbling with his shirt, an obvious sign of nerves.

     "It's pretty cool. I've never been to a party as crazy as this one and it hasn't even been fifteen minutes," I laughed. He laughed, too a little, but I could tell he was disinterested in what I was saying. His face got more serious and he spoke. "I've heard a lot about you, Keaton."