Chapter 3 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 3

     We followed Mr. Gordan inside. The principal, Mr. Lawrence, sat in a big black leather chair, smiling at us. A shiver ran down my spine. My first day of school and I am in the freaking principal's office. Mr. Gordan gestured us to sit down in the two chairs in front of the big desk. He stood off the side, facing us.

     "What brings you two here today?" the principal asked. Mr. Gordan began to speak, but Mr. Lawrence stopped him politely.

     "They can speak for themselves," he said, softly. He turned back to us. "Peter, how about you explain?"

     I was surprised that the princibal knew his name. Peter probably came to the princibal's office a lot. I mean, he looked like he was a prankster, and he acted like everything was a joke, from the way things went down in class.

     "We were just making some posters and accidentally coloring on each other when we were making them. That's all," he said, calmly leaning back in his chair without a care in the world. I, on the other hand, was nervous as hell with sweaty palms and a racing heart. I don't know how he was so comfortable in the principal's office.

     Even if I was like him, and I came here a lot, I would never be as chilled as he is right now.

     "So it was all an accident?" Mr. Lawrence asked, leaning foward onto the desk. Peter nodded.

     "I don't think it was an accident. They looked like they were laughing and having a good time. There is no way it would be considered an accident." Mr. Gordan claimed.

     "It was totally an accident," Peter argued. "We were just laughing because it was funny, right, Keaton?"

     I looked up. "Uh, y-yeah," I stuttered.

     "See? She thinks it was an accident," Peter concluded.

     Mr. Gordan's face twisted into an angry snarl. He looked like he was ready to strangle Peter with his bare hands. Scared, I pushed my spine back as far back into my chair as I could.  

     "Thank you, Peter," Mr. Lawrence said. "I understand this is your first day back at school. You kids are all still in summer mode, thinking life is just a big party, but it's not summer anymore. It's time for you both to be acting mature and studious. I'm just going to give you a warning, but next time you do something like this again, there will be more serious consequences."

     "You always say that bullshit," Peter mumbled loud enough for only me to hear. I was a bit relieved. A nice, easygoing principal doesn't happen so often.

     "But both of your parents will be notified of this behavior. I want them to be aware of what happened today, okay?" he concluded. "You're both free to go."

     I thanked him and walked out of the office, grinning. Peter came out behind me and behind him was Mr. Gordan with a very upset look on his face.

     "Back to class, you two," he snarled. Peter came beside me and gave me a high-five, smirking a little grin. I smiled a little, too.

That was the first time I have been sent to the principal's office on the first day of school and I was oddly pleased with myself.

After class ended, Kayla and I exited history together (she ran after me when I tried to go alone) and I was forced to listen to her pestering words. I really just wanted to go. I had zero interest in being friends with her or those other girls.

     "What did you do?" Kayla asked, as we pushed through the crowds of freshman and sophomores.

     "We were messing around with the markers and started having a little color fight. Peter made it seem like it was all an accident in front of the principal, so I didn't get in trouble for it. Neither of us did actually."