Chapter 19 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 19

I paced my room back and forth. Should I call him now, or wait? What do I even say? "Hey, uh, Noah. I was just joshin' you. I'm not really dating Ray. It was all a big joke!" I said to myself for practice. I didn't like that. How would he respond? Would he be mad that I lied to him or happy that I'm single?

I could tell him that me and Ray broke up, but then he would be like, "Why did you call me then?"

I had to tell him the truth! It was all just a big jealousy stunt and Ray took it way too seriously, especially when he hurt him. Would Ray still be overprotective, though?

My head was just creating more and more questions as the day went on. It kept creating scenarios for each outcome, and some turned out to get really, really bad. That's why I was unwilling to call Noah and tell him. What if he said a response that would lead to the worst possible outcome?

I flopped onto my bed with my face buried into the comforter. My whole body was sore from yesterday from all the walking and dancing I did. I hated when I was sore, but it did feel good when I stretched my muscles afterwards, but that's beside the point.

What was I going to do about Noah?!

Then, suddenly, my phone rang. In an instant I looked to see who it was. It read Ray. Why on earth was Ray calling me?

"Hello?" I said, half-annoyed.

"Better call him soon, Keaton. Practice starts in an hour. I know an hour to you is like a minute, in your mind, y'know. Since you're a girl and all," he chuckled.

"How do you know I haven't called yet?" I asked in surprise, and ignoring that last part of what he said.

"Because. I just do. I've gone through many girls, Keaton. I know how they are with these things," he laughed. "And, if you did, I think Noah would text me and ask me if it was true, also."

"He would do that?" I asked. "That's kind of weird."

"It can smart in some circumstances," he informed. "So, do you want me to call him or are you going to do it now?"

"Uh, I'd rather talk to him in person," I admitted.

"Are you serious?" he shreiked, but then realized that I wasn't joking and calmed himself down. "That's really, uh, different. Isn't is easier to just call or text?"

"Not for me. Do you know how long I've been staring at my phone, not knowing when to call him?" I asked. "This is very stressful."

"That's only because you're making it stressful," he laughed. "So, I'll come by your place and pick you up and then you can talk to him in person. I'll stand right there when you tell him, if you want."

"Sounds good," I answered. "See you later then. Thanks."

I tapped 'end call' before he answered back. I was already dressed for the day, so I just brushed my hair again. My hair always managed to get knots into it, even though I wasn't doing anything. It was so annoying.

After painfully pulling my brush through knots and failing at getting them to untangle, I pulled my hair up into a ponytail, my only option. I grabbed a hoodie and slipped on my Converse and ran outside when I heard a door slam.

"Mom, I'm going out for a little bit. I'll be back in an hour and a half or so!" I yelled into the echoey house. She was bound to hear what I said, but I promised to call her when I got there, just to make sure she knew. I closed the front door and when I turned I ran right into Ray.