Chapter 29 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 29

I stepped out of the car after saying bye to my mom. The doctors said I wasn't allowed to drive until the headaches stop. I haven't been at school in a while because I wasn't allowed to do anything too hard for my injured brain. I walked alone up to the tall staircase. It felt like my first day at school all over again, which was a super weird feeling.

I chuckled at myself for ever thinking I could go a whole school year without any friends. By the looks of things now, I knew that was an impossible thing to achieve, especially with people as talkative as those in this school. Not only that, most of the students were the sweetest people, even though they honestly looked like two-faced bitches.

Everyone stared at me and watched me trudge up the staircase. I hated all the attention(partly because I was panting from going up ten steps). I found Hannah, Bailey, Kayla and Andrea where they usually stand and slugged over to them, trying to catch my breath. I really needed to start running or something.

"Keaton!" Hannah gasped. She ran to me and wrapped her arms around me. "I thought you weren't coming back till tomorrow."

I shrugged. "Yeah, I just decided to come today. I felt a lot better."

"That's good. Oh, you're wearing the bracelet Ray gave you!" She pointed out. I looked down at the beautiful bracelet and touched the charm. "Yeah," I said.

"It's really nice." Kayla said, with a twinge of jealousy in her voice. 

"Thanks." I looked around to see if I could find Noah, but sadly, I couldn't. He probably missed yet another day of school.

"Guess who also showed up today." Bailey said later at lunch that day. 

"Who?" I asked.

"Noah." She pointed to him walking out of the room. I saw him glance at our table and almost smile at me. Kayla actually waved to him, but he just turned around and continued on her way. I looked over to see her pouting a little. Kayla tried to act the same around Noah, even though it was really awkward around them.

My heart dropped. "I miss him," I admitted, not realizing I actually said that out loud. They all looked at me with a sympathetic look.

"We know," Bailey whispered. I inhaled a deep breath to keep from crying.

Trying to distract myself, I said, "I'm going to go to my locker."

"I'll come with, I need to put this away," Andrea said, holding out a physics book. "I studied all night for this dumb physics test and I still don't understand anything." Andrea was actually a lot smarter than most people gave her credit for. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up with a plaque on the school wall with all the other top students. We began walking towards the doors leaving Kayla, Hannah, and Bailey behind.

I chuckled. "Good luck, then."

"I wish I took easier classes. This is all too much to handle." She sighed heavily. "My parents will kill me if I don't do well."

"I'm sure that the test won't be too hard for you to handle. Just ask your teacher some questions before you have to start the test." I suggested. "They'll appreciate you coming for help. That's what I do, anyway, and I'm doing pretty good. Except for a dumb B in history."

"Yeah, history is, like, the dumbest class. Why do we have to learn about crap from a billion years ago? It's completely irrelevant to the worlds' issues today," she complained. "Oh, and thanks for the advice."