Chapter 15 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 15

     We listened to the radio and talked about some random things as Ray drove us to the school. When the school came in view, Hannah told us to hold hands.

     "Then, everyone will think it's official and all."

     We looked at each other and I awkwardly moved my hands on top of his. He curled his fingers over my hands and held a light grip. A few people saw and pointed, but they weren't anyone important to this plan. He parked the car near the football stadium and cut the engine.

     We all hopped out and Ray came around and stood next to me.

     "Can I put my arm around—"

     "No," I refused. He smirked and swung his arm around my shoulders and pulled me in a little bit anyway. I made a mental note to never get to the point where he would ask for sex, since he didn't seem to understand what no meant.

     I saw Hannah smiling at us, but then glaring at her brother when he whispered to her. She punched him hard in the shoulder.

     We entered the field, with his arm still around me. Everybody looked over, confused. I saw Noah take off his helmet and frown uncomfortably.

     "Kiss!" Hannah whispered at us. I looked up at Ray, who was just smirking at me.

     He was a lot taller than me, so I went up on my tip toes and gave a really quick, awkward kiss. I pulled away almost right when our lips touched, but then he leaned in and kissed me again for a little longer.

     "Don't act like I'm a disgusting hobo," he laughed. "I'm your damn boyfriend."

     "Hm, not really," I laughed.

     "Well, I better go now, babe. Come on, Jack." I tried not to punch him for calling me babe, but that wouldn't of looked so good, so I decided against it. He turned and walked to the feild with Jack. Hannah and I turned the other way towards the stands.

     "You should've seen Noah. He was just about ready to kill you guys," she chimed.

     "Ha-ha. I'm glad."

     The team talked for a few minutes, did some stretches, and then broke up into teams. There were a lot of tall seniors surrounding Ray. I guess he was the team captain.

     A few minutes later, Noah looked up at me and waved, knowing that Ray was watching him. Forgetting the plan, I returned the favor and then watched as he put his helmet on and went to some position on the feild. Ray was glaring at me.

     The scrimmage game began. I didn't understand what they were doing and why they were doing it, but I knew that they had to get to each end to get points. Coaches were screaming and basically, it was just a big tackling session. It all looked so painful. Hannah obviously knew what was going on.

     "Backpedal, backpedal!" she would yell. What does that even mean?

     The game lasted for a little, but then all the coaches stopped the game.

     "Break time!" Hannah chirped, pulling me up and dragging me to the feild.

     Ray turned around and jogged toward us. His arms were open for a hug, but I kept mine at my sides.

     "I am not hugging you when you're all sweaty," I refused, with a disgusted look on my face.

     "You know you want to, honey!" He said, throwing his arms around me, grinning from ear to ear.