Chapter 12 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 12

     "I can't believe homecoming is so soon. It's just crazy," Bailey said, taking another sip of her coffee.

     "Mm-hm," I agreed, eating the last bit of my brownie.

     "That looked like the best brownie ever," she commented.

     "It was really good. Starbucks brownies are my favorite," I chuckled.

     We were at the mall this day to find dresses for homecoming. We were just taking a break at a little coffee shop.

     "Okay, you finished?" Bailey asked, peering over to my side of the table. I nodded, wiped my mouth with a napkin and stood up.

     "Did anyone ask you to homecoming yet?" she questioned, then slurped up a bit of her coffee.

     "Uh, a few people actually. But I said no to all of them." I sighed, picking at my nails.

     "Did Noah ask?"

     I shook my head. "I don't think he is going to. I mean, he doesn't like me like that..." I trailed off, smiling at the thought of Noah. I was lying to her. Damn, lying. We both knew he did like me, so I don't know why I would try to make it seem like he didn't.

     "Why are you smiling?" Bailey giggled. I suddenly stopped myself when she said that.

     "I'm not smiling," I said, nervously. I didn't want her to think I liked Noah!

     "Whatever." She rolled her eyes and sipped her coffee again. "Mmm."

     "So, uh, what store are we going to go to, now? Neither of us have found a dress yet, so we should probably start looking," I told her, changing the topic.

     "All the dresses are so picked over, ugh," she whined, peering into a store.

     "Let's just check this one to make sure there's nothing that we like," I suggested, turning towards the door.

     "No. Meg Shafer and Ally Cornby are in there now. Ugh I hate those two. They are so disgusting. They, like, do things with freshman and eighth graders." She shivered in disgust. I cringed at what she said and turned away. I didn't even wanna know what exactly they did, but I had an idea from Bailey's reaction.

     We started walking away until...

     "Bailey! Keaton! Hey, guys!"

     We turned slowly and simultaneously, just to see Meg and Ally walking toward us, with bags in there hands.

     "Hi, guys!" Ally exclaimed, giving us each a hug. Bailey's eyes looked at me, but she barely moved her head. "Are you guys shopping for dresses, too?"

     We nodded. Bailey had a disgusted look on her face, like she was about to throw up on them if they spoke one more word.

     "Oh, we should shop together! Like help each other pick out cute dresses and shoes! That would so fun," Meg chirped.

     "No, thanks. We are actually going to be leaving really soon, so it won't be worth your time," Bailey muttered, instantly rejecting.

      They nodded, with a little disappointment in their faces. "Well, it was nice seeing you guys. I guess we'll let you go now," Ally said with a puppy dog face.

     "Bye," Bailey spat and started walking again, grabbing my arm.

      They waved to us as we left, obviously not knowing how much Bailey despised them. The looks Bailey gave were no help, either.