Chapter 17 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 17

     "You really think he saw?" I asked when we walked over to the outside of the big crowd. Ray nodded furiously.

     "He was right there, dancing with Kayla. God, she is annoying." He rolled his eyes. 

     Before I could ask any questions, the music died down and a teacher came up on the stage with a microphone. 

     "Hello, students! How are you enjoying your homecoming dance?" he asked and everyone cheered. "That's great! I'm glad to hear all of you are enjoying tonight. Now, the event you have all been waiting for! Announcing your homecoming king and queen!"

     Everyone cheered again, louder than before.

     "Alright everybody calm down!" the teacher yelled waving his hands at us. The cheering died down. "Thank you! Now, the nominees for homecoming queen are...drumroll please!" Everyone started patting there thighs waiting for him to begin again. "Jeanette Hale, Laura McConiville, Bailey Logan, and Keaton Lakes!"

     Everyone cheered. I was stunned. Why was I a nominee? I shot a scared look at Ray, who was clapping and urging me to go on the stage. My ears went mute and all I could hear was my heartbeat, which was ready to burst out of my chest and dash away. I managed to get to the stage safely without dying from a racing heart.

     "Alright, now the nominees for the king! We have Alex Flynn, Seth Harvard, Ray Owens, and Noah Johnson!" The teacher grinned and put the envelope on the stand while everyone cheered as the boys walked on stage. Ray stood there smirking and pointing to all his friends. I saw Hannah who was looking straight at me, nodding her head in assurance.

     I swallowed hard. I hated all these people staring up at me, judging my dress and how my hair looked. I got self-conscious when Noah would do it, but when all these people were watching, it was just terrible.

     "Now, this year, we will name our runner-up king and queen, then move on to this years homecoming king and queen! Our runner-up queen for this is...drum roll please!" Everyone was slapping their thighs again, grinning at who was runner-up.

     "Bailey Logan!" The teacher shouted. Everyone clapped their hands respectfully while a student put a small crown on Bailey's head. Well, hey, at least she got a crown. Bailey smiled at everyone and curtisied, then stepped back into line. I could tell she was angry that she didn't win. 

     "And, now, the runner-up king is..." The teacher began while everyone instinctively began a drumroll.

     "Ray Owens!" 

     Everyone started hooting and hollering for Ray, who seemed to love the attention. He laughed while a crown, about the same size as Bailey's, was put on his head. He posed in front of everyone, smirking. Ray was so egocentric.

     "Alright, alright. Now, it's time for what you have been all waiting for! The homecoming king and queen!"

     I covered my ears when everyone started screaming. I never knew these people could get so loud. All the chaperones put a finger to their mouths and hissed 'Sh!' at all the loud, rowdy kids. I took a deep, deep breath. My heart was racing faster and faster.

     "This year's homecoming queen is..."

     Everything was painfully silent. My eyes were blinking with confusion and my legs were turning into jelly. I didn't know what was going on until everyone began screaming again. My hearing was muffled.

     "Go!" I felt Bailey push me. What? Did I win?

     "Keaton! Keaton! Keaton!" Everyone was chanting my name. I had won! I had won!