Chapter 11 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 11

     After saying our farewells to my dad, Noah offered his arm to me and I hooked my arm with his, smiling. We walked to the car that way. It was cute. He opened the door for me and closed it after I got inside. He took my bag with my extra clothes in it and put it in the trunk. I never knew how polite he could be. I thought football players were always immature and rough, but I guess he was different.

     We back out of the driveway and began on our way to wherever we were going. I still didn't know where he was taking me.

     "You look beautiful," he commented. I couldn't help but blush. I looked down at my feet and thanked him.

     "Thanks. You look really sharp, yourself," I replied. 

     He smiled at me. "Thanks. Would you like to listen to some music?"

     "Sure." 

     He pressed a button and some classical music began playing from the speakers in the car. I was surprised. He had a CD of classical music.

     "Wow, classy," I said. "You're impressing me here."

     "That's what I aimed for."

     We drove in silence, enjoying the calming music. I closed my eyes and leaned back for the rest of the ride, until we stopped. 

     "We're here," he said, turning off the engine. I looked out the window. We were at a fancy-looking restaurant called Amelia's. My eyes widened. This place was extremely expensive, and very high quality. Why was he taking me here?

     "Amelia's? You sure?" I asked.

     "Yes, I'm sure. Come on."

     "The wait is going to be forever. This place is packed," I said.

     "I have a reservation. My mom knows the owner of the restaurant, so I got one easily. Please, Keaton. Stop being so tense. It's just a restaurant, okay? That's all there is to it," He reassured, helping me out of the car. I just gave him a half-smile. 

     Don't get me wrong here, it's not like I didn't want to eat here, but I thought that it was just too much. I thought first dates were going out for ice-cream or watching a movie, not eating at a four star restaurant. On a scale of one to ten, this date was probably an eight, with ten being, like, going to Fiji together or something.

     We walked into the dim restaurant with men in suits and women in formal dresses. My eyes had to adjust to the darker light. There was quiet jazz music playing in the background and everyone was talking in hushed tones. Noah walked up to the host stand and began talking to the lady there.

     We followed the lady to a table near the back. Noah pulled out my chair for me and pushed it in when I sat down. He sat himself down and then the waiter came by with water. We ordered drinks and Noah let me choose the appetizer.

      I took a sip of the water, to avoid eye contact from another one of Noah's awkward stares. I was so ready to tell him to stop staring, but I didn't want to be rude. Then the rest of this date would be really, really awkward.

      "Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" he commented.

     In the surprise of hearing a compliment, I choked on the water, coughing like crazy. Noah stood up and came around the side of the table, asking me if I was alright. I nodded, continuing the coughing fit. Everyone around us turned their heads to look at the female teenager, who did not belong here, choking on water.