Chapter 10 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 10

      September came along very quickly. That meant homecoming was soon and I could feel the excitement in the air. As the year went on, I had met some new people who were very nice, but remembering all their names was a major challenge. After they repeated their name to me more than ten times, I would finally understand it. I felt bad, though. I was always bad with names since I always meet new people when I move.

     Things didn't really change at all. Noah still stared at me and Kayla was still into him. The only thing that did change is when Bailey started going out with Micheal Anderson, the kid that was checking her out during lunch that one day. Noah didn't seem to care at all, he only focused on me.

    I sat down in the back seat in Biology where I always sat. Noah was late, once again, and sat down right next to me. During the class, we watched 'Planet Earth' the whole time because we had a substitute teacher.

     "Hey," Noah whispered when he sat down. "You're looking nice today."

     I looked down at my outfit. Capris and a shirt who's sleeves were three quarters down my arm. It really wasn't a very nice outfit, but Noah always took the chance to compliment me on everything he could.

     "Thanks," I smiled.

     "So, have you thought about it?" he asked. I knew he was talking about me and him dating. He kept pestering me, and it hurt to brush it off each time.

     "Yeah, I've thought about it." I answered and then shook my head a little.

     I saw the corners of his mouth fall into a frown. "Can we just go on one date so I can convince you? Please?"

     "Noah, please. Not now," I whined.

     "Let me just to take you on one date, tonight, and I won't ask again. Please."

     I sighed and picked at my nails. He watched me for a moment and said, "Pretty please. With a cherry on top?"

     I giggled a little. He smiled at me and interlocked his fingers and sticking out his lower lip, pleading to me. I mean, it was only one date. And then he wouldn't ask me anymore, so it was a good deal. I wasn't doing anything, and it was Friday, so I decided that I would go.

     "Okay, fine, but you promise no more asking me on dates after this?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow at him. He nodded.

     "I promise. Well, unless you want to," he smirked. 

     For the rest of the day, whenever he saw me, he was so happy. He sat by me at lunch even when I was sitting with some new people I met and not the usual Bailey, Hannah, Kayla, and Andrea. The girls knew these people, and they were friends, but not close friends. This group was kind of like the semi-popular group, as Bailey called them the first day of school. Everyone knew them, but they were a lot less cliquey, unlike Bailey and the others, so it was a bigger group.

     I sat with the group because I didn't think Noah would be able to find me because he would think that I was with Bailey. Surprisingly, Noah found me, rather easily, and sat down next to me. In all honesty, I enjoyed the clinginess just a tiny, tiny bit. 

     About ten minutes into lunch, Laura said, "Hey, Keaton? Come to the bathroom with me," Laura said. I got up off my chair, leaving Noah and the rest of the group.

     "Why do girls always go to the bathroom together?" Noah asked me. I rolled my eyes at him and walked away. I could feel his eyes watching me walk away.