Chapter 18 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 18

     "Oh, uh..." I looked at Ray, pleading for help. Of course this happens to me! I angrily swore at myself. Ray just gave me a look and eventually opened his mouth. I just watched Noah, to see what his reaction would be to what Ray was going to say.

     "Yeah, what were you going to say?" He asked, smirking. I whipped my head to him and glared angrily. He just shrugged and left it all to me. You ass!

     I had an idea. "That there was something in your hair, but it fell out, so... yeah. Sorry," I smiled sheepishly. I heard Noah and Ray start laughing at me. I blushed from embarassment.

     "What?"

     "You're so cute, Keaton," Ray said, hugging me from behind.

     "Okay, well, I'll see you guys later at Bailey's party, then," Noah said. His facial expressions told me that he was uncomfortable when Ray did that, but I just acted like I didn't know. I smiled at him trying to ease the hurt in his eyes. When his back was turned, I angrily pushed away from Ray.

     "Stop bragging about me to him, you obviously know he likes me!" I yelled.

     "Uh, isn't that the whole point, though?"

     "I just hate seeing him uncomfortable like that. It makes me feel really guilty!"

     "Guilty over something stupid like this? Damn, I wonder how guilty you would be if you killed someone," he laughed. "You're making a big deal over the dumbest thing!"

     I punched him in the arm angrily, but it didn't seem to do much damage. "It's not funny! I'm not going to be able to sleep until I tell him that this was just a joke. I should've never agreed to this."

     "Well, you did. Don't worry, it's only a day and then we can 'break up' and you can go and date Johnson, even though you said no the first time he asked you out," he smirked. I had never met anyone so arrogant.

     "I don't want to date him!" I denied, surprised by my voice getting really high-pitched when I spoke. Ray just looked at me uncaringly.

     "Then why are you being so... so... weird about this?"

     "Because I feel guilty! God, what don't you understand about that? Just because I feel bad doesn't mean I automatically like him and that I want to date him," I explained.

     "Why are girls so complicated?" he chuckled. 

     "I can't stand you right now," I answered, giving him my best look of disgust. Then his stupid immature friends came to us. They just started laughing at us, acting like total maniacs. What was up with these people? Why can't they just be normal and not weirdo freaks?

     "Ha! Ray! Man, I bet you wanna just beat Johnson's ass right now! He kissed your girl's hand in front of everybody here!" Brad laughed, flipping his long, shaggy hair. For some reason, I hated when boys flipped their hair. It just annoyed me so much and right now, I didn't need it.

     "I didn't mind it, actually," Ray admitted, acting calm. "Just Johnson pleasing the crowd that's all." All his friends digested what he said and then stopped laughing, then looked at him like he was an alien freak.

     "Since when have you not cared about other guys by your girlfriend? Much less kissin' their hands?" Mike asked.

    "It was a dance. I mean, what am I gonna do? Attack him? Keaton would kill me. She doesn't like when I hurt people. You guys saw at practice," he told them. They all shrugged.