Chapter 28 - Avoiding Goodbyes

I awoke in a white bed, surrounded by a group of machinery. There was a steady beeping and that was when I realized I was in a hospital bed. I jolted, like I had just been stabbed with an electric plug. 

Why was I in a hospital?

I looked at all the chords and needles attached to me. It was scary. I had never been in a hospital before, besides going there to see a family member or friend. I sat up, and instantly my head hurt. "Ow," I muttered to myself. I desperately wanted to pull the needle out in my wrist, so I could get up and walk away, but I knew that that wasn't such a good idea.

After subjecting to defeat, I laid back down, trying not to hurt my head anymore than it already was. I couldn't remember what happened, except Noah's beat-down face(which lead me back into a terrible heartbreak pain again) and my bio teacher writing me a pass to the nurse.

The nurse! Maybe I was really sick or something!

I guess that it was okay to have a sense of what was going on, but I was also really afraid. If I'm in a hospital for being sick, then I must be super, super sick. And that's not something to be happy about. 

I heard laughing from outside the door, and then it opened. Hannah was the first to enter, the Bailey, Andrea and surprisingly Kayla, too. I sighed a sigh a relief because I wanted to see my friends. 

Even if Noah cheated on me with one of them.

"Hey, guys," I said. I adjusted myself in the seat and winced at the pain in my head.

"Damn, you look really bad," Hannah blurted. I saw her jolt a little. "Sorry, I didn't mean-"

"No," I chuckled. "It's fine."

They sat down where they could find a seat. Hannah sat on the edge of my bed. Kayla sat as far away as she could on a little couch near the window. "So, uh," I began. "What happened to me?"

They looked at each other. Finally, Bailey spoke. I wasn't surprised she did. "You fainted in the nurse's office. They called the paramedics because they thought there was something wrong with your heart or something, but I think now they learned it was from extreme exhaustion and malnutrition. Have you been eating? Or even sleeping?"

I tried to remember. I didn't eat anything on my birthday, or even the day before that. Why wouldn't I eat?

"Now that you say that, I remember I didn't eat anything for the past few days," I spoke. "And the night after my party I had trouble falling asleep because I kept waking up. I was too upset about, N-" I stopped myself, as I saw Kayla get uncomfortable, and I didn't want to say his name. There was a long silence, but it was deafening. I was screaming internally.

"I have to use the restroom," she finally said, standing up and walking out. 

After the door shut, I spoke. "What's up with her?" I asked them.

"Guilt, you know. Anytime someone mentions Noah, she gets all weird. She really wants to apologize to you, but she thinks you're too mad at her to forgive her," Andrea sighed, laying on the couch Kayla got up from and propping herself on an elbow. 

"I'm actually not mad at her, I'm mainly mad at Noah, I guess." I bit my lip to keep from crying. "It was just really weird. I know he loves me, but I just had to—" Hot tears moved down my cheeks. Hold yourself together, girl! I told myself, but that just made it worse.

"It's okay, it's okay." Bailey comforted. She jogged to the bedside and knelt down. "He doesn't deserve you anyway."

I sobbed. "I k-keep telling mys-self that, b-but it doesn't wo-work," I cried. "I still love him. And he still loves me."