Chapter 1 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Chapter 1

     "Good luck!" My mom said, as I shut the car door. She rolled down the window, not noticing how angry I was. 

     "Ugh," I muttered and wiped my face. She looked at me and grinned.

     "Make some new friends!" She exclaimed and blew me a kiss. Really? Was that frickin' necessary, Mom?  

     "Mom, please! Don't do that in public." I pleaded. 

     I saw a frown form on her face, which never really happened because she was always so excited over the dumbest things, like now. I was starting a new school, again, for probably the hundredth time and she still saw it like I was a kindergartner starting school for the first time in my life. 

     "Look, Keat, I know you're upset with the move and everything, but that's just how it is. Your father and I just like to move around, okay? Now, go, and make some new friends."

     "Why? So I can just say goodbye again?" I shrieked and noticed my mom just bite her lip meaning she didn't have a response.

     "I'm sorry, Keaton. I know you're upset with all this. Just at least talk to someone." She suggested, giving me a weak smile. I spun and yelled, "Hi!" to a kid walking by. He turned and looked at me like I was some weird freak and continued walking, but faster this time. I turned and faced my mom.

     "There."

     "Keaton, just go and get your schedule from the main office, okay?"

     I turned around and faced the grand school. Students were everywhere, each in their own clique. My old school was the same way; cliques were everything to them. If you weren't in a clique, then you were an outside, ignored by everyone.

     I would know, I was an outsider.

     This school was way bigger, and a lot nicer, now that I was living in a better area because my parents never stayed in the same place for more than a year. Moving was hard for me because I would become friends with all these great people, but I always had to leave them in the beginning of summer. I never even tried for a boyfriend because I knew we would have to break up eventually.

     I sighed, and clutched my bag as I walked toward the three sets of double doors. I could feel people staring at me as I walked, which made me extremely self-conscious. I kept my head down, but I really wanted to see the people's faces. Looking to my left, I saw different groups of people. The obvious ones like mathletes and science geeks, the wannabe's, the overconfident jocks faced each other keeping in their cliques.

     I glanced to my right and quickly looked away, noticing these stylish girls, judging my looks. Shorts and a floral camisole was a decent choice for today, but it wasn't good enough for everyone here. I tugged down my shirt, mentally punching myself for wearing a shirt that was too-small.

     "Hey," I heard a girl say. "Is that the new girl?"

     I clenched my jaw at 'new girl'. I hated when people call me that. It made me feel like I was a hobo or something and no one knew my name.

     Ignoring everyone, I needed to find someone to lead me to the main office where I could get my schedule and help me get to my first class. Turning my head from side to side, I tried finding someone who wasn't in a clique. Then, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

     "What?" I asked as I turned. 

     It was one of those stylish girls. "Hi," She grinned.