Prologue

As I lay in my bed I listen to the raindrops softly hit my window and the reflection of lightning bouncing off the walls because I cannot sleep. I can't help but think about my fiancé who is supposed to be laying right next to me, who is supposed to roll over in the morning and greet me with that oh so beautiful smile, and help me get our daughter ready for daycare. The love of my life, Vanessa Smith, was taking away from me so suddenly and unexpectedly, she was in a fatal car accident and died on the way to the hospital. Since that night my guard has been completely up, I'm afraid of finding that special person again and then they end up being taken away from me like Vanessa, and another problem is I'm still not over her and I will probably never be.

As I look at the ceiling thinking about Vanessa, I hear my door slowly open and I look to see my 3 year old daughter, Nahla, entering the room with tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong baby?" I ask as I slowly watch her approach the bed with her favorite teddy bear.

"I had a bad dream, can I sleep wif you?" She responds while sniffling.

"Sure sweetheart" I say while pulling back the covers and watching her climb in the bed.

As Nahla gets comfortable on my chest I just can't help but think of how much she resembles her mom. I shake the thoughts out of my head, kiss my daughter on the forehead, and look to my left on my dresser where a picture of Vanessa stands.

"Goodnight baby" I say to the picture as I close my eyes and try to get some sleep.