Candles (Part 2)

I lifted my overflowing bag over my shoulders again. I had a busy day and anyone could tell how tired I was from the lack of sleep. My hair was a wasp's nest and yet I didn't care. Today was my- Nico's and my- anniversary and I had wanted to look nice.

Of course Aphrodite and the Fates had to plot against me. Again.

I was coming home from (dream college name) because I was a professor there. On my way home I met a gang of emposai. It was quite a surprise, since I wasn't expecting such a large number of monsters at one time and in one place. Luckily many years of demigod experience had kept me prepared, but the fight left me exhausted.

By the time I got to my apartment, I was ready to have a nice dinner with Nico and go to bed, but the moment I walked in I froze. All the fatigue from fighting the monsters was gone, but the fear was replaced.

Slowly, little tear drops found their way across my face as I clutched my bag tighter. My hands were molded into fists and my cheeks were flushed red like my eyes. The scratches from the emposai had started to throb again...I should have eaten some ambrosia, but I was so paralyzed with fear that I couldn't perform even the simplest of demigod medical procedures.

NICO POV

I heard the door unlock, just as I finished lighting the last of the candles. They were (your favorite candle scent). I quickly put out the matching was using and tossed it in the trash as I came to front door.

"Happy Anniversary (Y/N)!" I exclaimed as I walked to the door
I saw her crouched down in fear, her nails digging into her palms as silent tears flooded her face.

"(Y/N)! What happened?"

She/he only stuttered in response.

"I-i'm af-fraid...I'm-m sc-cared of-f..."

She/he never finished because another sob racked her body.

Oh gods what happened?

I lifted her/his frail body and gently placed her/him on the couch. I gave her a small glass of nectar and watched her drink it, unconsciously rubbing circles on his/her back.

When she/he had finished the godly drink, I asked, "(Y/N)...what happened? Did you meet a couple of monsters on the way home?"

She/he nodded but didn't look me in the eye. Something was definitely up.

"I'm a bit better now Nico," (Y/N) said, "Thanks, you're the best,"

"Look (your nickname), I know that's not it. I've seen you fight monsters before and I've never seen you so afraid. It's okay if you don't want to tell me, but just remember I'm always here okay?"

"Yeah, I will,"

"Okay," I said smiling,"Come on, I made your favorite dish for our anniversary"

"Wait...you can cook?"

"Uhh..." I said scratching the the back of my neck and blushing, "yeah kind of"

She/he giggled and grabbed my hand to get up.

"I'll bet it it's amazing"

"Yeah, Percy helped taste test and ended up eating the entire pot,"