Strawberries

The sweet succulent smell of fresh strawberries drifted up to my nose. I couldn't wait to get I my hands on a bushel. They had been growing for quite a while now, with me taking care of them to the best of my abilities. Being a Demeter kid, I took care of them real well. A sudden thought occurred to me as I began daydreaming about the juicy fruit...again.

I was certain that sneaking two or three would do no harm. After all, who would see me in the middle of a bunch of strawberries? Waving away any qualms that plagued my mind, I quickly snatched one up and ate it. Ahh...the three months of waiting was so worth it.

"Hey (Y/N) Leo wanted me to tell you that he finished your new sword...why is your face covered in strawberry juice?"

I let out an embarrassed chuckle. "I...uh...thought I was alone,"

"I'm your best friend (Y/N) and best friends never let you do stupid things..." Nico said chuckling, "alone..."

I laughed and put my hand out towards him dragging towards the center of the field.

"Let's go Neeks!"

The two of I spend the rest of the afternoon goofing around the strawberry patch, occasionally running to hide around the trees when campers or Mr. D strolled by. Nico and I had split up by now and I had no idea where he could be.

It was all right until Drew and her gang of friends came around. The group was walking around the strawberry patch not caring that they were stepping through all my toil and hard work. Snatching strawberries left and right, Drew and her friends were gossiping about practically everything.

I was about to jump out and yell at them for being such careless idiots, but I bit my tongue once I heard what they had to say.

"So Drew did you hear about Zihna?" one girl said, I think her name was Nakiya.

"Zihna Robles? The Apollo kid...yeah I think I've heard of her. She came to camp a few weeks ago right?" Drew replied, her perfectly manicured nails resting on her hip.

"I overheard her say she was going to ask Nico out," Nakiya went on the say some other things, but I zoned out.

Yes, Nico was a great guy and I shouldn't have been surprised that someone else also liked him. A tiny voice in the back of my head told me that I should have seen it coming...that I should have told him before.

But I was me and the anger consumed me. No I wasn't angry at Zihna. The Apollo girl was quite sociable and out-going. She was a loyal and hard-working girl that was always focused. She was a leader, a planner, a finisher. And she would be perfect for Nico. She was like his missing and no matter how badly I wanted to deny it, I couldn't help but think that Nico would say yes to her.

I was really just mad at myself for not being like Zihna.

So I ran back to my cabin angrily hoping to let off some steam. On my way I bumped into Nico, who noticed my anger instantly.

"(Y/N) are you okay?" he asked, his eyes filled with concern.

"I'm fine di Angelo," I replied sharply, hoping to get away from Nico as soon as possible.

"Stop lying (Y/N), I can read you like an open book. I can see that you're angry. How about we go to the arena and sword fight. It's better you take out your anger than bottle it inside of you,"

"All right," I said finally giving in, "Let's go"

The two of us fought the hardest we had ever fought each other. It probably had to do with my anger and my hyper focusing. Soon enough, I had somehow pinned Nico to the ground. Nico looked just as shocked as I was. We were inches apart and with one move our lips would touch.

But that wasn't what I was thinking about. I was thinking about how I could lose the best friend to someone and it wasn't something I was ready to do. It was a selfish thing to do, but I couldn't help it.

So I kissed him.

But soon enough I pulled away apologizing like there was no tomorrow. He didn't kiss back. He didn't like me. He always just wanted to be friends.

"(Y/N) what in the name of Hades are you talking about!" Nico said pulling me by my waist, "I never said I didn't like you stupid,"

"But-But you didn't,"

"I know and I'm sorry...I was kind of shocked. You're usually so shy all the time. I thought Aphrodite did something..."

"She didn't,"

"I know," Nico smiled, the corners of his lips curled upward as he kissed me.

Request for _fangirls_unite_