The Falls (Part 1)

The day was just like any other. The dark dreary sky was cluttered with grey clouds. The black crows flocked around the newly found body. The flesh was picked away and the blood was licked clean. No one could tell who's body it was; not that it mattered anyway.

Our almost abandoned city of Ceantan had grown accustomed to it anyway. It was just a small spectacle in our lives that we were to forget soon enough. It was what kept our society running and any small bit of curiosity could result in dire consequences. Angering the Government would only result in a shortened food supply and a military intervention. The last time that happened, my father was put on trial and found guilty of treason. 

I was on my way to the town bakery that day when I had first caught sight of the body. It wasn't laid flat on the ground like usual with animals flocking around it scavenging for left over meat. The body was propped up in sitting position, leaning against a the side of the bakery's dilapidated brick wall. It wasn't really brick though. Just dried blocks of mud that was designated as the standard building material in my town. 

Next to the body was a pile a bones from all the other bodies whose flesh was scraped clean. Even though it was right beside the bakery no one minded. The odor became natural and was just another smell.

On top of the that pile of bones was a boy. Jet black hair and dark brown eyes...pale skin and red lips...black clothes and shoes...

He was different. I knew it the moment I saw him. Everyone knew it. I could tell by the curious stares that were passed his way. He didn't seem to mind though; he just sat there on a pile of bones eating a pomegranate.

The moment we locked eyes it was like hell broke loose. The militia came in handcuffing the young boy yelling foul profanities as him.

"The boy's a bloody thief..."

"I heard he was on orphan that came from the Falls"

"Those filthy barbarians! Throw him into the heap!"

Oddly enough, he didn't resist. Only a wry smile was sent in my direction. It was almost as if he knew that I would be curious enough to look into his situation. The smile had me searching around for how he might have looked it. The was no denying it. He looked at me and not any of the other townsman running for their lives from a boy eating a pomegranate. 

~one week later~

It was midnight judging from the vacant library and the pitch black sky. Numerous books were piled up on my desk as I shifted though the information. 

The Falls...The Falls...

The name still hadn't left my mind and the boy's face was engraved into m mind. His black hair and clothes contrasting his pale skin...and that look he gave me. It had me searching through as much information as I could. I had spent countless nights in the library drowning in pages and pages of words. 

The only information that I managed to find was that the Falls were hated for their barbaric and belligerent nature. Any contact with them was forbidden and punishable by death. 

The librarians started to get curious about my research saying that such interest in dire subjects was a waste of time. 

"You're a bright kid, (Y/N). You can get a government job, get married to a government official, have kids and settle down in life. Now you hand me those books right now and go home. And get some sleep would you?" Ms. Branswell the head librarian had told before ushering me out. 

Sighing, I returned all my books to their original locations and walked out of the library. The road was clean and new for a while, but soon enough it became run down and dusty due to the lack of funds for renovation. The street lamps were lit dimly often by kerosene where light bulbs were broken. 

A left turn here, and a right turn there. Walk past the Governess's statue...another right...

An arm clamped over my mouth in the dim night dragging me far from the road and the town. No amount of squirming or kicking would get me anywhere. Soon enough I felt a hard blow to the head and fell unconscious.