Chapter 74: Death Is Only Scary If You're Alone

Hey guys! I had so much things to do (I still have) that it took me a long time to write this chapter. We now have 25.7k views! And the book reached #351! Isn't that great? Anyway, have fun reading the new chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all <3

    Flowers. I was surrounded by thousands of red flowers. It was like sitting in an ocean of blood that stretched to infinity. The sky, speckled with stars, seemed ready to devour the world. Is this what the after-life was? A giant field of flowers? I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't anything like this. There was no one around. I don't want to spend eternity alone. That was terrifying. Why wasn't Rilos with me? Separating us was just plain cruel.
    "All you had to do was ask. Didn't I tell you that I would always find you no matter where you are?" said a voice behind me.
    "You're so sly. I thought I would never see you again," I cried, throwing myself in his arms.
    Rilos caught me mid-jump and used my momentum to twirl me around. His laugh got lost in the warm wind and my tears fed the crimson ground.
    "You're laughing an awful lot for someone who just died," I noted.
    He raised an eyebrow and smiled like he was holding back more laughs.
    "Is that what death looks like to you?" he said, drying my cheeks.
    "What are you trying to say?" I asked, getting suspicious.
    "Do you have so little faith in me? We aren't dead. I gave us a good fright, but we didn't die. You are simply unconscious and hid yourself very well. Again. I should start hanging lights around your wrists. It would make it a lot easier for me to find you."
    I tackled him, sitting on his stomach.
    "What do you mean: we're not dead?" I growled, frowning.
    "The poison was hard to fight, and yes, I did almost got killed by it, but I won. I wasn't about to die when I only got to spend a few months with you. I want more than that and I won't let poison ruin everything."
    "I really want to punch you for making me worry but I'm just glad that you're alive." I hid my face in his neck. "Never do that again. My heart won't support it."
    "I'll do my best. Now, you need to wake up."
    "Will you be there when I do?"
    "No."
    "Rilos!"
    "I'm kidding. Of course I'll be there. I have been for a few hours now."
    "Uh?"
    I blinked and our room materialized before my eyes. I rubbed them and sat up right. Was this still in my imagination? Rilos was snuggled beside me, his hand gripping mine tightly. I placed my hand on his cheek, rubbing it slowly with my thumb, and frowned. He had lost weight. I didn't like that. I would have to make him eat more to compensate for what the poison had made him lose. Rilos leaned into my palm and purred. My big bad wolf had just purred like a content kitten.
    "What are you, a black leopard?" I murmured, smiling sweetly.
    "If that's what you want me to be," he replied, sleepily.
    "I think I prefer you as a wolf."
    "As you wish, your Majesty."
    On those words, his body morphed into his wolf, who, in no time, was on top of me, licking my face thoroughly. One of his teeth got snagged on my dress. He grinned and pulled on it, ripping my dress away from my body. He fled to the other side of the room, my dress still between his jaws. The only thing I was now wearing were panties. Could those really be called panties? They had more lace than actual fabric. Two could play this little game he had started. I looked at him unfazed and dropped my hands to my side, showing my chest completely.
    "I liked that dress, Jinary." I sighed and slowly got up, making sure that he was watching my every movement. "What am I going to do with you?"
    He whimpered, letting my dress fall on the floor. I had momentarily forgotten that his wolf took everything coming out of my mouth seriously. He sat down and his eyes met mine. Remorse and desire were reflected in them. He was torn as to which emotion to follow. Had there been no desire, I would have dropped my act, but its presence convinced me to tease him some more. I bent down, picking up the lacerated pieces of fabric, and mended my dress back to its original form.
    "Good thing we're able to use magic or I would have been a little sad," I smiled. "I'll never be mad at you, Jinary. I might be at Rilos, but even then, I'm not completely sure about it. I'll get equal with you, but I'll never be mad. Hopefully, you'll feel the same way."
    He tilted his head, confused. I smirked and rolled away as 2 litres of bright yellow paint fell on him. I was laughing so hard, holding my sides, at his dumbfound look. His expression softened and he started to laugh with me. His tone suddenly changed and, as I looked up, came face-to-face with Rilos who had changed back. He raised his hand and smeared some of the paint all over my face. I caught his hand and kept it pressed against my cheek.
    "I thought I would never get to be with you again."
    "As if I would let you leave my side."
    "Possessive, uh?"
    "With you? Always. You're mine after all."
    "Well if you want me to continue to be, you better go take a shower, Mister Lemon."
    "Madam Lemon should accompany me, in that case. You're as yellow as I am."
    "I would refuse for the sake of it, but we both know that I'll end up in the shower with you anyway. Don't get full of yourself though; I'm only doing it to save water... and to see you naked, but that's beside the point."
    "I do appreciate your honesty. Come on, let's get you cleaned up," he said, pulling me up into his arms.
    "I can walk you know?" I chuckled.
    "Humour me."
    His hands were shaking slightly. Guess I wasn't the only one who got scared of never being able to see each other again. I snuggled closer to him. He inhaled sharply, closing the bathroom door.
    "Lyra, we are never going to get in this shower if you act like that."
    "Oh, Rilos. Did you really think that we were only going to wash ourselves? Someone interrupted my meal in your office and I intend to finish it now. If that same person tries to get in my way once more, I can't be held responsible for what I'll do."
    "Despite your appearance, you truly are a wolf," he smiled, turning the faucet on.
    "Careful, wolves bite," I replied, licking my lips.
    Over an hour later, we were sitting at the table, calming down an other type of appetite. This time, Rilos had made sure that the food wasn't poisoned. When he finished his plate, I made a new one appear.
    "You lost weight. Eat."
    "Who's the possessive one now?"
    "If you can talk, it's that you're not eating."
    I stared at him. More precisely, at the reddened half-moon imprints on his shoulder left there by my teeth.
    "Are you aware that this bite mark entices me to place more on you?"
    Rilos choked on his food. It took him a solid five minutes to stop coughing and be composed again. He glanced at me with teary eyes but a smile breaking on his face.
    "Where did the Lyra that cried at the mention of kissing go?"
    "You tamed her and she disappeared into oblivion. You like this Lyra better anyway."
    "I love the Lyra who isn't afraid to express herself no matter what herself is."
    "You really are sly." I paused. "That woman, Cerc's wife, did I kill her?"
    "Almost. She was hanging on by a thread. She's in jail and will have her trial at the same time as her husband and the other woman."
    "You'll kill her."
    I don't know if this was an affirmation or a question.
    "Yes. I am not forgiving when it comes to attempts on my life outside of duels. Beside, she could have killed you too."
    "Why did you make me exit our room?"
    "This specific poison, although it was much stronger than the last time someone used it on me, exude from the pores and poisons every living thing around it. Plus, it has a tendency to sizzle the skin. I didn't want you to get poisoned and I didn't want you to see me all bloodied either. I don't think you would have been able to withstand it and I didn't know if you would be able to fight it off."
    "You could have told me that instead of making me worry," I grumbled, taking place on his lap.
    "I'll remember that for next time," he replied, hugging me.
    "There won't be a next time. I'll never let anyone make an attempt on your life. You're mine and heads will roll if someone dares to try."
     "I love you."
    "I find that you often say that in the most unexpected moments."
    "Does it bother you?" he asked, genuinely concerned.
    "Never. It makes me happy. Every single time. You make me happy," I answered, placing my lips on his.
    "Don't be this adorable. I won't be able to restrain myself and we have to train before the trials."
    He said that, but it was his hands that were under my shirt. He was never worn-out or tired of making love to me and I wasn't about to complain. I slowly unbuttoned his shirt to give him time to stop me if he wanted. His resolve wasn't that strong and he gave up quickly. We would have time to train later. Confirming once more that this wasn't a dream was more important than anything else.