Chapter 11: Letters

Thank you guys for the incredible response to the story, you literally made my day :) Hope you enjoy this new chapter!

I froze.
"Don't worry, Lyra. It's just Phylana."
I relaxed immediately. She can come in.
"Come in, Phylana."
"Hey, I just came back from seeing King Rilos. He said to come back to you so you could make sure he didn't do anything to me. As you can see, I'm all in one piece. He also told me to tell you that he doesn't hurt or kill someone unless they have done something very bad. Me looking at your past by accident isn't even close to being bad. He, however, warned me that if I told anyone, there would be consequences. He also gave me something for you."
She handed me a box wrapped with silver paper. A gift? I looked at Satie and Phylana, confused.
"You've never had a gift before. I remember. Open it, it won't kill you." said Phylana.
Considering how almost nothing can kill a werewolf, it would be surprising that this gift could kill me.
"Look at you being all sassy, I like this side of you." said Satie.
I grinned back and started opening the gift. I didn't want to rip the paper so I unwrapped it very slowly. I opened the box and there was a folded letter lying on top of some fuzzy looking scrap pieces of paper. I unfolded the letter and read:
"Hello Lyra,

As you can see, Phylana is unarmed and well. She looked really smug when she came in the throne room, so I will assume that she had read the note you gave her. Don't worry, I rarely harm people and even more rarely kill them. Now that that's out of the way, I think we should start you rehabilitation slowly. Maybe writing letters is a good start. I'm sorry about getting your age wrong, you looked very young in that white room. I'm also sorry that I didn't find you sooner. It would have saved you so much suffering. I really like your name, though. Satie told me that it was because your wolf is white. I hope you will show me your wolf form one day. She also told me that you were now able to walk without help. You worked very hard, sweetheart, but I bet you are happy to have a bit of your independence back. I won't hold you much longer since you must be tired of all the work you did today. Sleep well. What I gave you will protect you in your sleep. It smell like me, at least that's what Phylana told me.

Love,

Rilos."
I took the scraps of paper out of the box and underneath was a stuffed wolf. It was identical to the one I had seen in my white room. I took it out of the box and showed it to Satie. Is that what his wolf looks like?
"Yes, how do you know?"
I saw this wolf once, in my white room. Well, it was a spirit. That was Rilos?
"Yes."
I looked at the stuffed toy, hugged it and started crying silently. That was the first gift I had ever received as well as the first toy I ever had. For some reason, seeing the first being that ever showed me compassion was making me emotional. The plush smelled like rain and gave me the same feeling as the night when I saw the stars for the first time. It felt right. I started crying again. Satie and Phylana must think that I was crazy, crying in intervals like that. I looked at them, eyes filled with tears, and saw that they were crying as well. Why are you crying, Satie? Is something wrong?
"No, honey. Nothing is wrong. I just can't imagine what it must be like to be separated from your soul-mate."
Now that she was telling me, I was indeed feeling like something was missing from me. When I smelled the plush, it was like a part of that emptiness was filled again. That's why I started crying; I was slowly getting whole again. I looked at Satie. I want to write back. Can I have a pen and a sheet of paper?
"Of course you can, darling. Here, I'll get you some nice sheet with drawings in the margins."
Thank you. Why is Phylana also crying?
"Phylana, she's asking why you are crying."
"I touched the letter. King Rilos was crying too when he wrote it. He's affected by the fact that he can't see you. However, he knows that you are still traumatized by what happened and he'll keep his distance as long as you need, even if it hurts him."
I wanted to be near my soul-mate too, but just thinking of a man made me sick. I had a flash. How come I had not think of that before? I took the pen and started to write frantically:
"Rilos,

Thank you very much for the letter and the stuffed toy. It looks exactly like your wolf and that makes me happy for some reason. Satie made me realize that being away from your soul-mate hurts very much. The stuffed wolf is filling a part of the void since it smells like you. I, then, realized that you must be hurting as much, if not more than I am, from being away from me. Although I am still very afraid of men, I want to be with you. After debating whether I should let you come close to me, I remembered that we are werewolves. If it's not too inconvenient for you, you could stay in my, well technically your, bedroom as a wolf until I'm ready to face a man. I think that's a solution that would satisfy both of us.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Your soul-mate,

Lyra."
I looked at Satie. Could you give this to Rilos?
"Right away, honey."
She ran out the door like there was a fire.
"I think she is happy that you are going to put the King in a good mood. When you were, understandably, too scared to even look at him, he was devastated."
I'm sorry. I looked down.
"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. Never think that you had anything to do with what happened. They were sick and will pay for what they did to you."
One person was approaching, followed by an animal, a wolf. Knock, knock. I looked at Phylana with panic in my eyes. What if that was a huge mistake? What if I was scared of him even in his wolf form? He would never recover from something like that.
"Everything is going to be fine, Lyra. I'm here for you if you need it. We'll go at your pace. I think that the King could wait for ever in front of your door. Just being near you is enough for him."
Okay, I'm ready. Breath in. Breath out. You can come in.