Chapter 77: Severed Necks and Injured Heart

Hey guys! I know, it's been a week but I had so many things to do and I had a hard time putting into words what I wanted to say in this chapter. Hopefully, it came out well. On another note, can you believe that we're at 32k views?! A month ago, we were at 20k! That's 12k views in a month! This is incredible! You are all seriously the best. I included the song "Water" by Pentatonix because I am obsessed with it and I wanted to share it with you :) Their new album came out last Friday and I've been blasting it non-stop. It's amazing and you should definitely check it out. Anyway, have fun reading this chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all <3

"I feel like I will constantly have to get you two back in line. We are in the middle of some trials and you've just killed someone for the love of the stars. She deserved it, but, please, have a bit of decorum, would you?" scolded Satie.
    "But I haven't had enough of her yet," pouted Rilos, nuzzling my neck.
    "You have a fresh bite mark on your shoulder so I'll guess you had quite a bit of fun in the last hours and Lyra is out of breath from what you've currently been doing. Beside, you'll never get enough of her. Now let's go back to the trials."
    "Satie, you know me so well," he grinned, winking at me.
    I rolled my eyes and sat on the bench, clutching Rilos' hand. The Judge came back with his apprentice.
    "Serala vs Brimmie. Serala, come up front and someone, please, bring in Brimmie."
    Serala brushed her lips on Delalie's forehead before heading for the desk. The other woman was soon be her side, restrained by cuffs.
    "Accusations?"
    "She stood next to Cerc while he was abusing my girlfriend and did nothing to prevent it or to alert someone of power. She was not forced to do so and Cerc never prevented her from telling anyone."
    "You're here to fight for your girlfriend? What's her name?"
    "Delalie."
    "Delalie, could you come here and give me your memories?"
    She took a deep breathe and walked to the Judge, presenting him her hand. He took it and let it go, pain momentarily flashing on his face.
    "You can go back. Thank you," he smiled gently.
    She came back and sat next to me, trembling. I encircled her shoulder, bringing her closer to me. I rubbed her arm up and down, giving her all the comfort I could. She plumped her head on my shoulder and sighed shakily.
    "Brimmie, were you forced to watch, coerced in any way, threatened or dominantly silenced?"
    "No," she answered without an ounce of remorse.
    I growled, uncovering my teeth. She had to die. Rilos chuckled, covering my hand with his and laying a kiss on my head.
    "Easy, red ridding hood. This is not your fight."
    "Your memories," said the Judge, extending his hand at Brimmie.
    She didn't move. Talia clicked her tongue, coming out of the shadow, and forced Brimmie to give hers. The Judge took it back after a few moments, his face hardening.
    "With the evidence presented before me, the Dula can begin. Serala, kill that woman."
    Rilos whistled in surprise. I looked at him questioningly.
    "It's the first time I've heard him side with someone so strongly. He's usually very neutral with his words. He must be really mad at her. I can't imagine how bad it will be with Cerc."
    "What's Brimmie's power?"
    "Empathy. That's why I couldn't believe she would do something like that. When you can feel someone's pain, you try to prevent them from being in that state. I don't know how she could stand there and watch Delalie get tortured."
    "There are people who get their kick out of other's pain," I commented, sadness piercing in my voice.
    I felt the same emotion emanating from him as he scooted closer to me, wrapping his arm around my waist.
    "And there are people like you who prefer to give happiness to others. I like this part of our world more," I added.
    He laughed softly against my hair and rubbed his thumb on my side.
    Empathy being anything but an offensive power and having no weapons at her disposition, Brimmie had to transform into a wolf. Serala did the same and they jumped at each other soon becoming a blur. After an agonizing half-hour, Serala was on the ground, severely injured while Brimmie was as injured but could still stand. Brimmie walked slowly to her, uncovering her teeth. Get up, Serala. Please, don't let her win. Delalie whimpered.
    "Tell her to fight, Delalie. She'll listen to you," I murmured. Hopefully.
    "FIGHT, SERRIE!" she shouted desperately.
    Brimmie was hovering over Serala, saliva dripping from her mouth, when the latter launched at her throat, severing it in one bite. Brimmie's body fell, lifeless, on the ground. Serala shook her fur, snickering, and took the head with her jaws, bringing it in front of Delalie. She sat down, dropped it and wagged her tail, a large grin on her face. Delalie ran to her, throwing her arms around her neck. Serala transformed back, but dropped down, her broken leg unable to hold her weight. Hyphas jumped in the arena and took care of her injuries while people cleaned the mess.
    "That concludes this fight. You got us all scared for a moment, Serala. Ten minutes recess again, then it's going to be Cerc vs Rilos," said the Judge.
    "Actually, I'm the one who's going to fight him, Judge," I corrected.
    Conversations stopped and everyone looked at me, shocked. The Judge's eyes shifted from me to Rilos and back to me, sceptical.
    "I'm ready and I'm strong," I added, rising my chin defiantly.
    "Oh, I know. I was simply surprised that your soul-mate would let you do something like that."
    "I let him fight; he had no choice but to give me the same courtesy. No one likes to sleep outside."
    "She's rather fierce once out of her shell. Don't you agree, Rilos?"
    "Absolutely," he smiled. "That's how I like her."
    "Let's take those ten minutes, people."
    They passed in the blink of an eye because everyone had decided to wish me good luck before the trial started. Did they think that I couldn't beat him? That I needed luck to win? It was sweet of them, but couldn't they have a little faith in me?
    "They just want to let you know that they are behind you. They are happy that you're fighting for them. Just breathe in, concentrate, don't forget the trainings and kill his pathetic ass."
    "Yes, sir," I chuckled.
    "Lyra, come down, please," called the Judge.
    "I love you," Rilos smiled, kissing me. "Don't get hurt."
    "Promise," I replied walking to the desk.
    When I arrived in front of the Judge, Cerc passed through the door, guided by Talia. He saw me and smirked in contempt. So he wasn't scared of me. Good, he would never see it coming.
    "Accusations?"
    "This man abused of his power as an Alpha to hurt the Betas and Omegas in our pack. He even went after children."
    "Can I have your memories?"
    He took my hand. His grip was firm, more than I expected. Every event that I witnessed involving Cerc, including Delalie's memories, flashed before my eyes. No wonder she was shaken up after he took hers; she had to relive her rapes. He let me go and turned to Cerc.
    "Any objections?"
    Cerc shook his head and gave his hand. Minutes ticked by before he released it, sending him a clearly furious look.
    "Right under our noses. I can't believe it. I hope she tears you to pieces."
    "I will. Watch me," I said, flying out of Cerc's reach.
    He rubbed his wrists now free of the shackles and glanced at me.
    "Taking the coward's way out, I see. Did I scared you that badly last time? I thought someone who had went through torture would be more resistant. Seems like I over-estimated you."
    "You didn't over-estimated me, Cerc. I'm just smart enough to know that being on the ground isn't to my advantage. You're the only coward here, Cerc. You know that you can't win against me so you try to bring me to your level. It won't work. I'm better than that. Actually, everyone here is better than that because no one would hurt a child. Only cowards go after those of lower rank and those who are weak. I think that even if I was on the ground, weaponless, I could still beat you. Of course I'm not going to do it. As Rilos said so well: Fairness is for those who deserve it."
    "You insolent little freak. Come down and fight like a warrior."
    "I might be small, but my heart is bigger than yours, that's for damn sure. Also, warriors know to choose the battles they fight. I don't think you deserve one. Enough with the small talk, time for you to suffer and die."
    Murmurs fused around the room. I knew my tattoo had just changed to a blood drop, healing.
    "What are you going to do with that? Make me so healthy that I die?" loudly laughed Cerc.
    I glanced at Nerika and Hyphas who were also laughing but for a different reason. They knew exactly what I was about to do.
    "One of the people who was cleaning behind the mess you made once told me: If you can repair something, you can break it," I smiled, doing exactly that to his two arms.
    He screamed and fell on the ground, crawling as far away from me as he could.
    "Come on. Having your arms broken doesn't hurt that much. I didn't scream once when mine got broken for the first time and I was three. Who's the coward now? You do know that distance doesn't affect my powers, right? Here, I'll show you."
    He gripped his chest, his lips opening and closing in vain. I had destroyed his heart from the inside.
    "Being tortured for three months gives you a lot of knowledge in the domain so I could torture you for ages. However, I'm not going to. You want to know why? Because I'm not like you. I don't enjoy hurting people even if these people are bad. Beside, I don't want bad memories resurfacing. You've given me enough of that already and, unlike you, I don't want anyone to have nightmares due to my actions."
    I slowly sliced his neck, centimetre by centimetre. I wanted him to die suffering even though I didn't like torture. I didn't want to give him a quick death and I bet the ones he had hurt didn't want that either. I landed near his body and kicked his head away from it. You're never too careful. I knew that cutting his neck would result in a lot of blood, but I didn't expect that much. It stuck to my feet despite the ground absorbing most of it. So much red. I brought my hand to my mouth.
    "Lyra?" called someone far away. "Are you alright, sweetheart?" The voice was closer.
    I blinked, turned around and came face to face with Rilos, worry written all over him. Everyone else was either crying and hugging each other or looking incredulously at Nerika and Hyphas. I grabbed Rilos' sleeve.
    "Bring me back to our room. Please."
    Noting the tremor in my voice, he nodded and teleported us, not in our bedroom, but in our bathroom. He undressed me, took me in his arms and placed me on the edge of the bath. He rinsed my feet until there was no more traces of blood and slid me inside the bath. He filled it with hot water and proceeded to wash me.
    "I can do it myself, Rilos," I protested weakly.
    "I know," he simply replied, not ceasing what he was doing.
    There was nothing sexual in his movements, just love and care. He was showing me that he would be there for me no matter what and that, in addition to everything that had just happened, made my tears spill out on their own. I sobbed silently as he drained the water and dried me. He pulled me once again in his arms, sat on the couch, lying me beside him and placing my head on his lap. He stroke my hair, singing softly, until I didn't have any tears left to cry. I wanted to close my eyes, but I kept seeing Cerc slowly getting decapitated by my hand. I didn't want the nightmares. I didn't feel strong enough tonight to see Sadist's snarl. I clutched Rilos' pants tightly and, like he understood, he lay down on the couch as well and hugged me.
    "It's okay, sweetheart. Go to sleep. I'll protect and watch over you," he whispered in my ear.
    Exhaustion took over as his lips met my forehead.