Chapter 66: Rewriting a Story

Hey guys! I seem to have a tendency to do longer chapters at this moment, but they're fun to write so I won't complain. Did you know that the book was #371 in werewolf?!?! How cool is that? I feel that it is. Of course, that wouldn't be possible without you all and I am so grateful for every single one of you. Also, 17.6k views :) Love you all, have fun reading the chapter and don't forget to vote and comment <3

    Rilos was sitting on the edge of the bathtub while I was on the floor, between his legs, my back to him and my head resting against his thigh. He was slowly combing my hair, drying them at the same time.
    "You have quite a bit of knots in your hair, little one."
    "And whose fault do you think that is, giant one?"
    "Are you insinuating that it is mine? Need I remind you that it takes two to tango, sweetheart?"
    Was it just me or had this room suddenly become hotter? I touched my face. Nope just me.
    "Are you blushing, Lyra?"
    "Wha... No. What makes you say that?"
    "Because you are red right there," he said, kissing the nape of my neck. "And you need to stop lying to me," he added, tilting my head back and softly placing his lips on mine.
    I looked at him. Even though his mouth was smiling, I could see hints of fear swirling inside his eyes. My heart clenched at this sight. I raised my arms and cupped his face, stroking his cheeks with my thumbs.
    "I'm sorry, Rilos. I know that I'm giving you a hard time by not doing things like others and by not being able to express myself like you want me to. I'm working constantly to correct that, but hiding my emotions has been an integrant part of me since I was small. It's difficult to change something this deeply rooted inside my mind. I want to change and I will change. I already have, thanks to the girls and my own effort."
    I smirked while Rilos raised an eyebrow, putting my hairbrush away.
    "So you really want to play it like that, uh?"
    I simply continued to smile at him.
    "Don't go thinking that I'll spare you just because you're sitting there with only a towel to cover you, although it is really tempting to forget about what you said and take you against this wall."
    My eyes widened and my mouth opened slightly at the shock, but my heart and lower abdomen traitorously jumped at his words. It was his turn to smile. He placed his hand on mine, slowly caressing down my arm until he reached the edge of my towel. I brought down my arms, gripping the towel to prevent him from taking it off.
    "Now, sweetheart, do you expect me to stop when you're responding this well and smell this good?"
    "It's just soap, Rilos."
    "Who said I was talking about the soap?"
    There went my composure again.
    "Do you know how much I love your blushing face?"
    "Considering how much you enjoy making me flustered, I'd say a lot."
    "You are absolutely right," he chuckled deeply. "I love you."
    "Show me," I smiled, letting go of my towel.
    "It would be my pleasure."
    He demonstrated the extent of his love until I was no longer able to think about anything else but him. He took pity on me and pulled me in his arms after my many failed attempts to stand on my feet. He laid me on the couch, sitting beside me. I snuggled closer, putting my head on his lap. He started to stroke it, removing gently the strands of hair that were falling in front of my face.
    "You know that I was only kidding, right?"
    "Don't worry, Lyra. I know. I was also teasing you. I am aware of how hard it is for you to acknowledge everything that goes on inside you and I have realized how far you've come since I found you. I know when you are lying and when you are being honest anyway. I just want you to voice those feelings and free yourself from the chains Cyrian imbedded in your soul."
    "Speaking of voicing our feelings: What was that fear inside your eyes earlier?"
    "Just my over-protectiveness being itself. I hate seeing you in pain or denying something that is part of you."
    "You love me a whole lot, don't you?"
    "More than you can imagine."
    "Thank you for everything you do, Rilos. I am truly grateful every time you wait for me to be ready to do something instead of forcing me to do it."
    "That's basic decency, Lyra. You don't have to thank me for that."
    "Thank you for loving me, then."
    "You're welcome. Now, do you want to tell me what led you to getting cursed by Cerc?"
    "You don't know?"
    He shook his head.
    "Can I show you? I feel like it's going to be easier that way."
    "Of course you can."
    I projected my memories of the events into Rilos' mind. He showed his teeth a couple of times and smiled at other moments.
    "So in the little time you were out of your room, you protected two members of our pack and uncovered a dangerous individual in the process? Could you tell me again why I haven't allowed you to get out sooner?"
    "You wanted to keep me for yourself."
    "Oops, you've seen right through me. Do you want to come with me?"
    "Where?"
    "Conference room. I'll convoke the employees and talk to them about Cerc, see how many were affected by what he has done."
    "I'll come. I want to see how Delalie is doing."
    He got up and held out his hand.
    "Your ride is here, my Queen."
    I stood up and took it.
    "Aren't we going to walk?"
    "They are already waiting for us."
    "Let's not make them wait any longer in that case."
    I blinked and we were in the biggest conference room, standing on a platform. In front of us were only a part of the staff. I created a sound barrier around Rilos and I before speaking to him.
    "Why aren't they all there?"
    "I wanted to speak to the betas and omegas first, since they were the ones who were targeted. I'll talk to the dominants and Alphas later to warn them about this kind of behaviour. Did you create that barrier?"
    "I did."
    "Good job. It works really well. Take it off now."
    "Are you talking about the barrier or are you talking about my clothes again?"
    "Lyra..." he said, half-amused, half-serious.
    "Yeah, yeah. The barrier."
    As soon as I took it off, Rilos started speaking.
    "Everyone, please sit down. You probably heard that Cerc was put in jail. How many of you don't know why he was sent there?"
    No one raised their hand. They all knew. Rilos clenched his fists.
    "How long has this been going on?"
    Nerika stood up.
    "It didn't start that bad. It was mostly ordering us around and shoving us aside, but one day, he became more violent to a point where some of us would avoid walking alone in the castle and would lock their doors. We would assign telekinetic people to clean his room on purpose to avoid going inside."
    "How long, Nerika?"
    "Nine years," she answered with a small voice.
    Rilos exhaled and plumped down on his chair, covering his eyes with his hand. I could feel anger and sadness battling inside him. I placed my hand on his shoulder, trying to give him some comfort.
    "When did it started getting worse, Nerika?" I asked, seeing that Rilos needed some time to think.
    "In December, when the King began searching for you."
    "Had he ever raised his hand on a child before?"
    "He slapped me and threw me against a wall when I accidentally spilled water on him," said a ten years old boy. "Hyphas patched me up, but my mom had seen my injuries. I had to lie to her because she's a dominant. I told her that I fell down the stairs while mopping." His voice started shaking. "I don't like lying to her, but I didn't have a choice. The truth wouldn't come out," he cried.
    I went down the platform, took him in my arms and sat on the bench with him on my knees.
    "This must have been really scary, uh? What do you say we rewrite what happened, you and I? We could give you a happy ending instead."
    "You can do that?" he sniffled.
    "I can do anything. So, you walk down the hall with a bucket full of what? What could be funny to spill on him?"
    "Glitter?"
    I sent images in front of us, depicting the scene we were describing. We could see the boy walking with his bucket. I exaggerated Cerc's features so he wouldn't look too scary for the kids. The image of the boy tripped and bright pink glitter flew all over Cerc.
    "He looks silly, doesn't he?"
    "He's going to be mad."
    "Don't worry. Now that I'm there, he can't hurt you."
    Cerc's image raised his fist and punched himself in the face. He fell down with a loud "humph". He tried to get up, but he slipped again and again. The boy was laughing on my knees.
    "Why don't you go kick him a bit for me?"
    "I can do that?" he asked, his eyes full of hope.
    "Go ahead."
    I made the image tangible. The boy jumped off of me and ran to the projection. He tentatively kicked it and, seeing that it was possible to do so, did it some more. Other kids, and a few teenagers, joined him as well.
    "I think that's enough," I smiled. "Let's continue the story."
    They went back to their spots and the boy climbed on my lap.
    "What happened next?"
    "The King came and put him in jail."
    "Rilos? Why don't you come and do what this little man just asked you to do?"
    He looked up, was taken aback by the display, but still went inside and seized Cerc by the ear, pulling him up. The scenery changed from a hall to a jail. I shivered a bit. He threw Cerc against the door. Its image bumped on it and fell backward, prompting a roar of laughter amongst the young. Rilos tsk and opened the door. Cerc was getting up and Rilos kick his behind, making fly inside the cell. He slammed the door after him and dusted his hands, going back to his seat.
    "What do we say to the King who threw the bad man in jail?"
    "Thank you!"
    "Are you less scared now?"
    He nodded, a giant smile on his face.
    "You were very brave and do you know what brave children get?"
    He shook his head.
    "Chocolate cake."
    I made a plate with a big piece of cake and a fork appear in his hands. Not to make anyone jealous, I gave one to every kids as well. I sat the boy on the bench and went back to Rilos. He took my hand and placed a kiss on my temple.
    "That was great, Lyra. I'm proud of you, but where did you get this cake from?"
    "Uh, the kitchens? Balio had made one."
    Seeing his disapproving look, I sighed.
    "I'll go help him make a new one."
    "You will, but I want you to do something for me first."