Chapter 53: Outside The Cocoon

Hey guys! I had no ideas on what to put in this chapter, but I had an illumination so here it is. Don't think that I'm not writing during that time. I have several chapters that are written. They just don't fit in yet :P I'm thinking of changing the cover of the book so if you have any ideas, message me. Also, 8.1k views! You are seriously the best readers I could ask for. I love you all <3 Don't forget to vote and comment. You can always message me if you have any questions on the story or even on me. It's honestly so much fun talking to you all :)

It didn't take me long to reach my goal. It only took a week. The fact that Vriany was patient and close to Rilos helped put me at ease and I was able to hug him without being scared. After that was accomplished, Rilos started to show me other portraits. Balio, Vriany's husband, was the first he presented to me. He was the head cook and already had me by the stomach so I had high hopes that it wouldn't take too long for me to be able to see him. He would also show me Prior and Levian as well as Elash, Zynelle's husband, so I could attend meetings that involved the other Alphas. I had asked him not to tell the couples since I wanted to surprise them.
Staying in my room all day long had started to fall on my nerves and I wouldn't be able to spend another day in without attacking someone. Keeshee was feeling the same way. I knew that Rilos was busy and didn't have the time to bring me anywhere without compromising his schedule. He would do it without hesitation, but I didn't want him to change his plans because of me. I tried that morning to ease the possibility of letting me train somewhere secluded so I wouldn't disturb anyone.
"Rilos?"
"Yes, sweetheart?"
"Do you think that I could go outside?"
"The balcony is there and it's not raining."
"I meant outside the room. To train."
"Can't you do it here?"
"I'm not some kind of weakling that needs to be shielded from everything, Rilos. I'm a werewolf. I am strong and I need somewhere to run before I go crazy. There is two way this can go. Either you help me find a spot to train or I find one myself and it might not be the safest around since I don't know this area at all. You can send guards with me if you're worried."
"I'm not going to win this argument, am I?" he said, a smile on the corner of his lips.
"Nope."
"What wouldn't I do for you? There is an abandoned building in the forest behind the castle. It's in good condition and there is enough space for you to run. There's also a few installations like punching bags, jump ropes and weights if you want to do more than running."
"How long has it been abandoned?"
"Couple hundred years."
"Are you sure that it's safe?"
"Would I send you somewhere dangerous?"
"No."
"I'll send two guards with you. Talk to me if you need anything and please, come back for dinner."
"Thank you. I promise," I said, kissing him.
"I love you."
I smiled. Me too. I appeared in a forest. Standing before me was a structure covered with vines. It vaguely resembled a barn only bigger.
"I'll never get used to traveling by teleportation. I wish I could have just run."
"You would have been late and Chief and the King would have been mad."
I turned around. One woman was holding onto the shoulder of the other. They were both wearing black. Was that the official colour of the guard's uniforms? They spotted me and bowed down.
"You can get up. You've guarded my room before, right?"
They looked at each other, surprised.
"Yes, we did. How did you know?"
"Magic," I winked.
"Really?"
"No, I've heard you talk. You're Kisa," I said pointing at the one with braided mahogany hair. "And you're Jaline," I added, pointing the one with a bun the colour of coal.
"You know and remember our names?" asked Kisa.
"Yes. Wait, that's not normal?"
"It's just that, usually, people who are ranked higher than us don't bother remembering," said Jaline.
"I bet Rilos does."
"Of course. The King wouldn't send people he doesn't know the name of to protect you. Besides, he knows everybody. I'm sure he knows every single of my ancestors as well," she replied.
"He probably does," I chuckled.
I started walking towards the door when Kisa grabbed my elbow and pulled me back.
"Wait right there, your Majesty. You can't enter an unprotected building like that."
"Why?"
"Someone could have rigged it. Jaline can sense physical and magical traps. She has to inspect it before letting you in. The King has certainly done it before, but it's better to be safe than sorry."
"Everything's fine. You can go in and train now, your Majesty. We'll stay outside and protect you. If you need anything, just yell and we'll be there."
"Thank you very much, Kisa and Jaline, for changing your schedule to escort me here."
"Protecting our Queen is our duty and an honour. We've trained for this since we were teenagers."
"Really? You wanted to become guards since you were teenagers?"
"My mother was a guard and Jaline's dad was as well. Talia saw that we had combat abilities so she put us in training camp. We passed the tests and here we are."
"There's training camp and tests?"
"Yeah. It's not anyone who can become a royal guard. The tests are really hard and they only take the best."
"I'm happy to have some of the best to protect me," I said entering the barn.
There wasn't any windows on the walls, but small openings between the wooden planks of the roof allowed a reasonable amount of light to dim the place. A faint beaten path was stretched around some equipments which were laid down on the soil of the arena. I inspected them and they were in fairy good conditions. I warmed up and started jogging in circle. It had been eight months since I had last trained so I was really out of shape. I was about to move to the weights when I heard a soft thump. Rilos had taught me to find people by seeing their circulatory system. I turned around, searching for a heart. I saw three bats on a beam and a human standing on the opposite side of the barn. I took one of the weight in my hand and slowly backed down to a dark corner, hoping that they didn't see me. I connected my mind with Jaline.

****
"Jaline?"
"Yes, your Majesty?"
"Are you or Kisa in the building right now?"
"No. Is something wrong?"
"There's someone inside. Could one of you come in and check it out, please?"
"On our way."
****

As I backed further away, I bumped into a torso. I gripped the weight harder and was about to strike when the torso talked.
"Lyra, don't freak out. It's just me."
"Rilos! For the love of the stars, I almost opened your head with that. Won't that person be alerted if we talk?"
"No, I put a sound barrier around us. I want to see how Kisa and Jaline will act on the intruder."
"I knew that you knew their names. Please tell me that this isn't a trap you created to test them."
"It isn't, but it's a good opportunity to see them in action. Observe."
Something flew across the room and latched itself onto the intruder's wrist. The person tried to take it off, but it wouldn't budge. Taking advantage of the distraction, Kisa sneaked up behind and snap the intruder's neck.
"Ouch. How long will it take to heal?"
"If that person doesn't have healing powers: a day at the very least. Come on, let's go see them."
He took my hand and we walked to where the girls were. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the face of the intruder.

I know, I hate cliff-hangers too. Sorry.