Chapter 50: Baby Talk and Progresses

Hey guys! 50 chapters! Can you believe that I thought I would end this story in less than 20 000 words? I'm at 65 800 and am not close to finishing at all. Hopefully, I won't write another 50 chapters because that would be very long for you.... and for me. Have fun reading! Don't forget to vote and comment. I love you all <3

Sanaelle detected that something was wrong and tried to cheer me up by making me model the clothes she had made for me. I ended up having fun. They knew me more than I knew myself and I was grateful for their company. Rilos arrived around six and we ate, although I didn't eat that much because I had a knot inside my stomach.
"You're not hungry, Lyra? Is something wrong?"
"I, um... I have something I want to talk to you about."
"What is it, sweetheart?"
I took his hand and sat him down on the couch. I sat beside him, keeping his hand in mine.
"This morning when you were playing with Zar and Zyl, I realized, and the girls agreed, that you would make an incredible father."
"Yeah, Lyra, about that..."
"Can I finish before you say anything?" I interrupted.
"Sure, go ahead."
"I didn't tell you why I ended up getting beaten and raped by Sadist. Dark-Soul convoked me on my 18th birthday and told his son and I that we were going to get married to one another so I could have his babies."
"He said what?" he growled. "Did he knew that you had a soul-mate?"
"Yes, he saw my tattoo when I was born."
"That bastard."
"At first, I was shocked. I couldn't stop thinking about my soul-mate and how unfair it was for them. Then I remembered something that deemed me useless for his plans. Dark-Soul told his son that he could do what he wanted with me since I had no purpose. That's how I became his toy. You know how, sometimes, you just know things?"
I tried to choke down a sob to no avail.
"Rilos, I can't have children. I know that I can't. I know that you might have wanted to have some with me, but I can't give them to you. I'm sorry."
"Lyra, come here," he said softly, patting his lap.
I climbed on them, crying harder at his soft tone. He encircled my waist with his arms and put his chin on my shoulder.
"I can't have children either, sweetheart. I've known since I was a teenager. I got used to the idea. I was afraid that you would want to have them with me and I would destroy your dreams."
"Why didn't you tell me earlier?"
"One, because you stopped me first. Two, I wanted you to bring the subject. I didn't want to force you to talk about something that made you uncomfortable. Beside, we had an eternity to talk about it. If you want to take care of children, you can teach in schools, organize activities here in the castle or whatever you want."
He swiped my tears from my cheeks.
"Maybe when I won't be scared of men."
"Speaking of which, you weren't scared of Zyl."
"No, of course not, he's just a kid. I have no reason to be afraid of him."
"If I showed you images of men, do you think you would be scared?"
"I don't know, Rilos. I guess it's not as scary as a real person, but I'm not sure how far I can go for now."
"How about I start with a child and make him age until you tell me to stop?"
"Okay, let's try this."
He squeezed my waist. The head of a child appeared in front of me. It had no body, just a face.
"It's a bit creepy like that, Rilos."
"Is it better if I do it that way?" he asked, putting a frame around it.
"Yes, actually."
He made the child age and I turned to him, frowning.
"That's not frightening at all. It's you but with black hair and blue eyes. Wait, his nose isn't the same as yours. Who is that?"
"My father."
"He isn't scary. You look so much like him. What did your mother look like?"
A woman's face appeared next to his father. She had gorgeous brown hair and eyes of the same colour.
"So you have your mother's nose and eyes."
"Yes. Do you want to try with someone else?"
"Sure. Why not try Vriany? I know him and I've seen his wolf. He doesn't feel scary."
A blond child replaced Rilos' parents. He aged, but when he started to have more masculine features, I closed my eyes, gripping Rilos' arm.
"Stop, please. I can't go any further."
"It's okay, sweetheart. He's gone; you can open your eyes," he said, rubbing my arm.
Slowly, my heartbeats got down to a normal rate. I looked Rilos in the eyes.
"Again."
"Are you sure? You don't have to force yourself."
"I'm not."
The child reappeared and aged. When he reached the point I had made him stop last time, I gripped Rilos' arm again, but didn't say anything. I wanted to get better.
"I'll leave him like that until you calm down, okay?"
I nodded, my body shaking. A single tear escaped my eye. Rilos caught it with his thumb.
"Let's stop here, Lyra. I really hate seeing you like that."
"Just a little longer. I can do this, Rilos. I just need to calm down."
He sighed and started to sing. It had been so long since he last did that I almost started crying for that reason alone. The deep sound of his voice and the vibration of his chest against my back reassured and soothed me. Discreetly, Vriany's image started to modify, getting older. The combination of Rilos' voice and his touch was enough to prevent me from breaking down. Suddenly, I realized that it hadn't changed in a while.
"Why did you stop?"
"I stopped because that's what he looks like right now."
"How old he is?"
"57 next month."
"No way, that's so young."
"Says the 18 years old sitting on my lap."
"I meant that he's young to be a second-in-command. How long as he been yours?"
"30 years. And he's staying in the position for at least a hundred more years. Unless he's defeated by someone else, which I don't think will happen."
"Why?"
"When my previous second-in-command got older, I held a tournament to find his replacement. Vriany beat every opponent without getting a single scratch. 30 years and many, many duels later, he still has to receive one. His power allows him to know his opponent next moves, but he never used it. It says a whole lot about his character."
"You like him a lot."
"I've seen him grow up and become the man he is now. I presided his marriage. He was there for me when I needed him, even if I didn't know that I did. In many aspects, he is my best friend."
"Well then, I hope for your sake that I won't take too long to be able to see him."
"Lyra, you are supposed to do this for yourself, not for me."
"Fine, if you want me to lie: I'm doing this purely for my own benefit. Now, let's start over."
He chuckled and changed Vriany back to a child. This time, he was able to make him older before fear took over.
"You're doing great, sweetheart," he said once I calm down.
I yawned, rubbing my eyes. He smiled and got up with me in his arms.
"Let's put you to bed before you fall asleep on my lap. We'll try again tomorrow."
He tucked me in and, as I fell asleep, I felt his lips gently brushing my cheek.
"Good night, Lyra. I love you."