Chapter 68: Anger and Promises

Hey guys! If you haven't seen it, I've sent a message to those who voted on the last chapter. I want your opinion on the book so far and I also want to know if you have a sentence that you like in the book, because I'm trying to improve the cover. Also, 19.2k views :) We're so close to 20k, it's really amazing! I never thought that we could get this far. Anyway, love you all <3 Don't forget to vote and comment :)

    Rilos ran to me, not caring one bit about the broken glass spilled on the floor. He pulled me up in his arms, burying his nose in my hair.
    "Are you hurt? What happened? Were you the one who made it explode?"
    "I'm fine, Rilos." I mumbled against his shoulder. "Actually, I'm not, but I didn't get cut. I'm sorry I made something explode again." I paused. "Did I hurt anyone? Delalie, are you okay?" I panicked.
    "I am completely unharmed, your Majesty. I didn't mean to trigger painful memories."
    "Anyone would have reacted like that, Delalie, even without having gone through this kind of thing," intervened Rilos. "Lyra is simply more violent in her demonstrations."
    "How do you know what happened to her?"
    "I don't know exactly what happened to Delalie, but you wouldn't have been this affected if she had just been beaten. Yes, you would have been angry, but not enough to make the windows blow up. And you screamed, which you never do unless you're extremely distressed. You won't have to tell anyone about what Cerc did to you, Delalie. I am so sorry that I didn't picked up on what he was doing to you. To any of you, for that matter."
    "His orders were airtight, your Highness. We had no way of communicating what was happening to anyone. Furthermore, he was only doing it when you weren't in the castle or that you were particularly engrossed in something. As for what he was doing to me, no one knew, not even Nerika or Hyphas. These were the only times I didn't get help to heal my wounds. I didn't want them to know what he was doing to me."
    "I want him dead, Rilos. I want to end his life for daring to touch one of my wolf in that way," I sobbed angrily.
    "I know, sweetheart," he murmured.
    "I never thought that you would get attached to us this quickly, your Majesty," said Delalie, getting up and dusting her skirt. "It makes me happy that you would get this involved and I wish that I could have prevented you from getting cursed by that man."
    "Getting attached to you all wasn't difficult in any way. You made me feel welcomed from day one and that's more than I can say about anyone in the Northern castle. You are all so sweet and caring that, for once, I know what it's like to be part of a family. If I have to kill to protect you and this feeling, I will do it without hesitation," I answered.
    "Your Highness, I think the stars made a wonderful decision of making her your soul-mate."
    "I think so too," he said, squeezing me harder. "How did you know about the curse?"
    "The only reasons Cerc would touch someone was to beat them or to curse them. Anyone, even him, could have seen that the Queen was more powerful than he will ever be. The curse was the logical assumption. Did you have anything else you wanted to ask me?"
    "Do you think that you can face Cerc? I want to have his trial as soon as possible."
    "Yes, I want this nightmare to end soon as well."
    "Good. Let me clean this glass so you don't get hurt."
    Rilos made the shards disappeared and repaired the windows.
    "I'll make an announcement, but the trial shouldn't be in more than a week. You'll be the first one to know. Remember that you can come and talk to one of us if you feel the need. Don't wait to be at the bottom of the pit to seek help."
    "Thank you, your Highness. I won't forget."
    I dislodged myself from Rilos' arms and took Delalie's hands in mine.
    "You are an incredibly courageous wolf, Delalie, and I promise that, from now on, you'll be safe in this castle. Rilos and I will come at your marriage if you want us to be."
    "That would make me very happy, your Majesty. I'll send you an invitation."
    She went out the room and closed the door behind her. I looked at Rilos, my whole body trembling.
    "How can people do that? How can they look at themselves in the mirror and be fine with what they see?"
    He sighed and encircled my waist with his arms, putting his chin on the top of my head. I hugged him back, keeping him close to me.
    "I don't have an explanation for this, sweetheart. I wish I could give you an answer, but I have no idea what goes on in their head and have no intention to know either. The best thing we can do is teach the young not to do it and punish those who transgress the law."
    "You know, I had hoped that no one else went through what I did. That they could still have their innocence and be oblivious of how dark the world can be."
    "The world is a dark place, Lyra, but stars like you make most of us forget that. Shine as bright as you can, little star, and make the world forget what darkness is."
    I laughed softly and dried my tears with the back of my hand.
    "Thank you, Rilos."
    "You're welcome. Do you feel better?"
    "A bit, but I think I will be a whole lot more when I will kill Cerc. You will let me do it, right?"
    He thought about it for a moment.
    "I will on one condition. You have to train with me until I am sure that you don't risk getting hurt in the process."
    "Deal."
    He kissed my forehead and glanced at the previously broken windows.
    "I think that I should start Lyra-proofing every inch of this castle. You seem to be minded to destroy it all. It didn't take me that much time to build it, but it still would be a pain to have to reconstruct an other one."
    My mouth hung open both at the teasing and at the new piece of information.
    "You built the castle? And how dare you say something like that? I haven't destroyed a tenth of it."
    "Yet."
    I crossed my arms and turned my back to him, pouting.
    "I'm mad at you."
    He snuck his arms around me and gently kissed a spot behind my ear.
    "No you're not."
    "You don't know that."
    "If you really are mad, what can I possibly do for my Queen to forgive me?"
    "Bow down and apologize and maybe I'll consider it," I joked.
    "I am so sorry for having angered your Majesty. I promise never to do it again, so please, don't hate me," he said, throwing himself on his knees.
    I laughed and kneeled in front of him.
    "I was kidding, big bad wolf." I softly placed my lips on his. "I could never hate you, not when the only thing you do is love me."
    "And I promise you that I'll never stop."