Chapter 84: A Monster Called Love

Hey guys! I had this flash and HAD to put it in the story. Trust me, it's great... I think. Anyway, have fun reading it and don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all <3

    Rilos was trembling and gripping the armrests tightly. Sweat pearled on his forehead, his breathing becoming ragged.
    "Are you okay, Rilos?" I asked, concern straining my voice.
    "Don't worry, Lyra," he smiled softly. "Jinary is simply a bit... agitated. How's Keeshee?"
    "She's circling around, confused. She's much better than she was before. She wouldn't respond to anything. If she hadn't been breathing, I would have thought that she was dead." I turned to Vriany. "Let me go to him. If he loses control, Jinary will be unstoppable. We don't want anyone to die. Please, Vriany. He's tied up anyway. He can't hurt me."
    "I hope for your sake, Rilos, that what we saw wasn't the truth because I will hurt you if that's the case."
    "Over my dead body," I growled instinctively, Keeshee jumping at his words. Who would have known that after a week of thinking he had abandoned me, I would still be protective of Rilos?
    "That's the Lyra I know. Go ahead, little one," he said, releasing me.
     "Thank you," I sighed relieved.
    I approached carefully and knelt in front of him. His pupils had narrowed from the pain he was in. A drop of blood fell from his bottom lip as a result of him biting into it. I winced. Seeing him in pain was something I would never, ever like. I gently placed my hand on his cheek, removing his lower lip from underneath his teeth with my thumb.
    "It's okay. I'm here. I'm safe. We're safe. Rilos, look at me." I saw Jinary pacing and slamming his head on the walls. "Jinary, you have to stop this. You're hurting Rilos. Calm down. You'll be able to get out soon enough."
    Hearing the sound of my voice appeased him for a moment but he soon tried to claw his way out frantically.
    "Rilos, you have to calm down. I'm safe. No one is hurting me."
    "Lyra, I need you to run out of here now. I can't hold him back and he is not what you're used to when he's this furious. Vriany, get her out of here and call Spharan. He'll know what to do; he's dealt with me before."
    His jaw was morphing under my hand. I knew he didn't have long. I couldn't leave him. It was me Jinary needed to see. Without me, he would never stop trying to break out. I turned around and gave Vriany an apologetic smile as he was about to grab my arm. I teleported Rilos with me to the beach he had brought me to before. It had protections so we would be safe. Hopefully. For safety, I increased them, creating one that prevented him from leaving the area covered with sand. This way, he wouldn't be able to run off in the forest or in the water. I also created one that blocked people from entering this zone. I didn't want anyone intervening and getting hurt.
    I didn't have time to get scared at why he had wanted me to run away that I was propelled in the air by the biggest muzzle I had ever seen. I was able to fly up before crashing on the ground. He was massive. At least 2.5 metres high to the shoulders. How was that even possible? His height wasn't the only change in his appearance that captured my attention. His eyes weren't the soft brown I knew anymore. They were this deep purple colour. Oh stars, mine were the same colour. Boy did this man owed me some explanations because that was far from normal. He sped towards me.
    "Jinary, stop right this instant." Was that even Jinary? For all I knew, this could be a split personality. Let's just hope this works. I was his soul-mate after all. He wouldn't hurt me, right?
    The colossal beast braked and inhaled. A flash passed in his eyes. He had recognized me, I was sure of it. He opened his mouth widely, saliva dripping from his teeth and his tongue hanging out. Or he had just found my odour delicious. Damn it.
    "Wake up, Jinary or whoever you are. I really don't want to hurt you," I whispered.
    Seconds later, I was coated with his saliva. He had apparently decided that I needed a bath and that his tongue would do the trick. He lay down on the ground, his face between his front paws. His tail was wagging up and down rhythmically, almost generating a sand storm. Okay, so he didn't want to eat me. That was good. He turned on his back, emitting small whimpers.
    "Are you asking me to pet you?"
    He barked. Today really was the weirdest day I had had in a long time. I landed on the beach, ready to fly back up if that was a trap. He just stared at me with his purple eyes, a big smile etched on his face. I slowly walked behind his head, plunged both of my hand into his coat and scratched behind his ears. This was Jinary's favourite spot and, judging by the state of delight I had just send him in, it probably was the same for this giant ball of fur. He turned his head and pressed his nose on my chest. My mind filled itself with joy, pride and the love Rilos had shown to me earlier. I found you; I'm happy. He disappeared, leaving only Rilos lying down. Tears spilled from my eyes on their own and I sank on my knees in the sand.
    "Lyra, are you okay?" he panicked, running to me. "Why are you crying? Did that thing hurt you? Stars, I should have send you out faster. Why didn't you listen to me and went out with Vriany? That thing can't be controlled."
    "Rilos, he didn't hurt me. How could he? I was what he was searching for. He found me and I don't think he's going to come back. And I couldn't leave you alone; you're my soul-mate."
    "What are you talking about? Of course it's going to come back; it's Jinary when he's angry out of his mind."
    "He isn't Jinary. Unless Jinary can change his eye-colour. That wolf's eyes were the same colour as mine."
    "Are you serious?" his eyes widened. "That changes everything. I think I might know what this thing is."
    We changed location and were now in his office. He flew up and selected a book located near the ceiling. He sat on his chair, opening it. I went next to him, to look at it, and he pulled me on his lap. I glanced at the pages, but they were covered with weird symbols I couldn't decipher.
    "What are those?"
    "A human language. This book comes from their world and it is much older than I am. Fascinatingly enough, humans have more than one language. There are so many of them that it is almost impossible to speak all of them and some weren't spoken anymore when I was born. Anyway, it was written by one of the first Eastern werewolf. It's more of a story than an actual informative book but every story is made of a little bit of truth. It's about a woman who lived in the author's pack. When the woman turned eighteen, a mysterious crescent moon appeared on her chest along with her power tattoo and her wolf. Today, everyone knows what it means, but that woman was the first one to ever receive such tattoo. Of course, her pack was worried but they thought that it simply was a new power. Her wolf was normal in the beginning but, as time went by, she became more and more agitated. One day, she just exploded and would have destroyed everything around her had there not been someone powerful enough to barricade her. She couldn't remember what her wolf did during that time. It happened more and more often and they noticed that her wolf was growing bigger and her eyes weren't the same colour. Instead of blue, they were pitch black. Some time after she turned 25, she woke up in the middle of the night in the pain you have experience before."
    "Her soul-mate was born."
    "Yes, but not in her pack. As you know, the baby had its tattoo when he was born and its parents had heard of the woman with a similar one. They sent someone to get her, hoping she could be of help but her monster had taken over and was already on its way to the hospital. When she arrived the pain stopped and upon seeing the baby, the monster was at peace and disappeared. Want to guess the baby's eye-colour?"
    "Black?"
    "Indeed. I had not picked up the relevance until now. Mostly because there aren't a lot of soul-mates and they always found their other half before they turn eighteen, which is when that wolf starts to appear. I always believe that it was just a story because it never happened again. The last reason is that no one ever told me that this wolf's eyes weren't the same colour as mine. They mostly try to avoid my gaze not to antagonize it."
    "But you said that once the woman found her soul-mate, the giant wolf disappeared. Why didn't yours?"
    "I was asking myself the same question until I remembered this sentence." He pointed at a series of symbols on an otherwise blank page. "It says: 'Refusing to love can only create a monster.' I think that this wolf only comes out when love isn't allowed to do the same. It has your eyes because you're its target."
    I was struck by realization. The wolf was there while I was.
    "Are you saying that you stopped loving me?" I asked, tears threatening to spill.
    "No, Lyra, no, no, no," he murmured appeasingly. "I simply," he sighed, "I hurt you because I love you too much and I thought that by taking a step back I would prevent it from happening again. I don't want to hurt you."
    "Rilos, about what happened before, I..."
    "My King, my Queen, Feolrn is in your bedroom and is ready to show the truth," said Talia from the other side of the door.
    "Let's talk about it later, alright?"
    I nodded and he teleported us back to our room. Later it is.