Chapter 101: A Queen's Duty

Hey guys! Longer chapter today! I think I might only have three left :o It's so exciting and terrifying at the same time! I went places I did not expect in this chapter, once again. Have fun reading it! Don't forget to vote and comment :) Love you all <3

    The first four trials weren't as stressful as I had expected them to be. The Judge didn't ask me for my memories. I suspect that Rilos had something to do with it but it could also be because I wouldn't have been able to positively identify them. I was blind and mentally unstable, not to say insane, when they got to me. He took theirs and it was sufficient for a conviction. I now had faces for every person who had hurt me.
    Before the fights, Rilos convoked my four defenders as he called them. Vriany, Talia, Felia and Sanaelle were on the balcony with us in a matter of seconds. They were all in combat clothes. They knelt, bowed their heads and placed their right hand on their heart.
    "You four are here because Lyra and I trust you with our lives. These men hurt her in ways nightmares are made of. If one of you were to die, I will find a way to revive you only to kill you again. Do not let me down and do not make me regret your position in my pack."
    "Rilos, isn't that a bit harsh?"
    "It's not, my Queen," intervened Sanaelle. "If one of us dies, our opponent goes free and cannot be imprisoned or killed for his crimes. It would be extremely shameful for people of our rank. Plus, it would make you really sad and none of us wants that."
    "You might be able to beat me when we fight, my Queen, but that small, cowardly shrimp is nothing compared to you. I could beat him with my eyes closed and both of my hands tied in my back. And I will if it makes you smile," added Vriany.
    "We want your happiness above everything. That thought will drive us to win," continued Talia.
    "And we wouldn't want to miss the day where you'll finally be able to use your mouth for something other than kissing the King. To talk, for example," smirked Felia.
    "You guys better not be lying," I teared up, hugging each of them. "If one drop of your blood hits the sand of the ring, I will make you do so many errands, you will wish you would have never been hurt. And Felia, I use my mouth for other things, like eating, but I have to admit that kissing and biting him is way more fun."
    "Don't worry, my Queen. We will end them without breaking a sweat and we will still run those errands because we love you."
    On those words, Felia began a deadly dance which would last the entire day. She circled around him, slowly uncovering her teeth. He launched at her and I got to see the full extent of her telekinetic power when she broke his legs mid-air. Stars, she could move things on a cellular level. That was powerful. No wonder Rilos trusted her.
    "How." Crack. Broken bone. "Dare." Crack. "You." Crack. "Hurt." Crack. "My." Crack. "Queen?" Crack. "Here, let me help you control those impulses of yours."
    Some people flinched but most of the crowed cheered. Yep, she had just castrated him. Merciless.
    "Even if she doesn't look like it half of the time, she really is an Alpha. She considers you her's. It wouldn't matter if you weren't her Queen. She would still defend you ferociously."
    "I would do the same for her. She's mine too."
    "Thank you, my Queen! I love you too!" Felia screamed, waving at me. I chuckled, rolling my eyes. "Now, get up, you pathetic excuse of a wolf. I bet Lyra still fought even with all of her bones broken. You'll never be half the person she is. Good thing you won't stay here much longer. I can't stand to look at you." The man's head flew to the opposite side of the ring. "Better, don't you think?" She came back to us, dusting her clothes. "Sorry I couldn't do it longer. We have a time limit because we would be on their case for days if there weren't."
    "It's okay. I'm not a torture fan anyway. The quicker it ends, the less chance there are of you getting hurt."
    "Well, your turn, Sanaelle," Felia said, giving her a high-five. Sanaelle seemed confident but her hands were shaking. "Oh, oh. We might have a problem."
    "Indeed," agreed my soul-mate.
    "Why? What is going on? Guys, why isn't she taking her daggers out?" I panicked, seeing her opponent advancing towards her. "I know she's strong as a wolf, but her daggers are her best choice."
    "She knows what Mikyan did to you with the knives. She doesn't want to remind you of him by using them."
    "Why didn't she tell me that? Oy! Sanaelle! I was scared of the one throwing the knives, not the knives themselves. You are not him and I will not allow you to amputate a part of your identity because of me. Use your damn daggers before I get mad, Nellie."
    She turned around and smiled at me, tears pearling on the corner of her eyes.
    "Yes, your Majesty! You heard our Queen. Enough playing around." The daggers appeared on her arms and legs and she un-sheeted two.
    "Wait? Daggers? Sanaelle?" stammered the man. "Don't tell me you're the Ghost?"
    "You know my nickname, how nice. I wasn't aware that I was this famous. Do you want an autograph? Ah, never mind, you won't live long enough to appreciate it. You will however become part of a very selective club called: I was killed by the Ghost. Don't you feel lucky?" The man disappeared and she sighed. "If you know me, you must also know that invisibility doesn't faze me."
    He reappeared meters away from his original location, a dagger firmly planted in his heart. I hadn't seen her move, much less throw a dagger.
    "She controls them with her mind," whispered Rilos. "Their speed, direction, position, everything. That's why she's called the Ghost. You don't know where her daggers are until you feel them."
    Every time he went invisible, he would reappear not long after with more wounds. He had probably realized that he wouldn't beat her that way and changed into his wolf. She just laughed and jumped out of his way, slashing him. She did that for a while, but her posture suddenly changed. His head fell off. She walked to his body and stabbed him repeatedly.
    "She's into berserk mode. Do you want me to stop her, Rilos?"
    "No, Vriany. I don't want any unfortunate injuries. I'll knock her out and place her into a safe room so she can calm down once she wakes up."
    "This is why I was against her fighting. It's difficult for her mind to come back from berserk and it hurts her," hissed Talia.
    "One day she'll find someone who can bring her back. For now, we don't have a choice."
    "We always have a choice, Elun." I went through the ring's protections and towards Sanaelle while preventing him from following me or using his powers. "Sanaelle," I said forcefully. "That's enough."
    "My Queen. I suggest you walk away." That was Sanaelle's sister. "She is not your friend right now. She is a killer who does not make the distinction between friends and enemies."
    I could hear Rilos screaming in the background but I only had one thought in mind. Sanaelle was my friend and I would not let her suffer. Rilos was safe; she wasn't. I crouched in front of her and grabbed the wrist that was holding the dagger.
    "I said enough, Sanaelle. He's dead. You have to stop." She growled, uncovering her teeth. "Do not growl at your friend, young lady. Come on, Nellie. Don't force me to do what Rilos said."
    My cheek stung and blood seeped down my face. Dammit, Rilos will be even angrier now. The fog in her eyes dissipated a bit. She looked worried. That was good.
    "Sheet your daggers, Nellie. Your fight is over. I need my friend back."
    She blinked, shook her head and the daggers went to their original place.
    "Hi, Lyra," she smiled. "What happened to your cheek?"
    "I made a window explode again, can you believe it?"
    "Can't say I'm surprised. Why am I covered in blood and why is there a dead... Oh. Oh. I went berserk, didn't I?"
    "Yeah, but I brought you back, so everything is fine."
    "You didn't really made a window explode. I'm the one who cut you. You should have listened to the King. I'm sorry I hurt you," she cried.
    "It's just a flesh wound, Nellie. It doesn't hurt. Why don't you go with Felia to take a shower? I'll take care of my scary soul-mate."
    I teleported Felia and her to their room and took down the barriers around Rilos and the ring. I was in his arms in a fraction of a second.
    "Never do that again, do you hear me? When I tell you someone is dangerous, I mean it. This could have ended so much worse. Please, never do that again."
    He was shaking. Of course he was shaking. I had just given him the scare of his life.
    "I'm unharmed, Rilos."
    "You have an open wound on your cheek and you dare tell me that you are unharmed?"
    "I had forgotten about that. See? It can't hurt that much."
    He swiped his thumb across my wound, healing it.
    "I'm hurting. Take care of yourself for the love. If not for you, do it for me. I can't stand seeing you in danger and not being able to do anything."
    "How will you cope tomorrow? You won't be able to help me then."
    "I'll manage because I don't have a choice, but that was completely unnecessary."
    "It wasn't. She's a member of my pack and my friend. I was concerned for her health and reacted. You would have done the same thing."
    "I can't argue with that and I hate that I can't because I don't have any excuse to stop you from doing it again. At least don't shut me out next time."
    "Promise."
    "That was incredibly stupid, my Queen, if you allow me to say so," said Sanaelle's sister. "But I'm glad that my little sister finally found someone to bring her back. I'll be counting on you if it ever happens again."
    "People! Go back to your places. We still have two fights today," thundered the Judge.
    Rilos flew us to the balcony, sat me on his lap and pressed his lips on my shoulder. Someone needs comfort.
    "Life will never be calm with you around, little Queen," muttered Vriany, ruffling my hair. "Try to give us less heart attacks, for everyone's sake. I'll have to fight with my heart jumping everywhere thanks to you."
    "As long as it stays in your chest, everything will be fine."
    "Don't make me take it out to punish you for what you just did. We were terrified. Like your soul-mate said: Never do that again."
    "Can't promise that. She might need me and I won't stay there and do nothing. She's too important."
    "Stubborn."
    "Meanie."
    Talia knelt before me.
    "Thank you, my Queen. Thank you so much for saving her."
    "I didn't save her, Talia. I simply helped her find her way back."
    "No, you don't understand. She doesn't respond to the King in that mode. All of the previous generations of her family, including her sister, could. It was getting too dangerous. We would have had to kill her. But now we won't have to and I can't tell you how much it means to me. I don't think my brother could have handled having his daughter killed."
    "Is she telling the truth? Would you have killed Sanaelle because she wouldn't answer to you?" I growled at Rilos.
    "Yes."
    "Why, in the name of everything, would you do that? Weren't there other options?"
    "Like what? Stand there and look at her while she slowly loses her sanity? Keep her locked up somewhere? Wolves need freedom, Lyra. You know that better than anyone else. What if, one day, she lost it while protecting children and turned against them? I wouldn't know until one of them died and it would already be too late. Beside, she's the one who suggested it."
    "But it could still happen, right? She could still go berserk without us noticing."
    "No because she has you now. Look at your links and tell me if you see anything different."
    I focused and saw what he hinted.
    "One of the gold ones. It branched out and is wrapped around my wrist. Two of yours are doing the same."
    "That's Sanaelle's mother and sister. Yours is Sanaelle's. As soon as she shifts into berserk mode, she will pull you to where she is so you can stop her. During that time, she won't attack anyone."
    "I see. That's useful. Did she really ask you to kill her if she couldn't be controlled?"
    "I did," Sanaelle confirmed behind me before throwing herself into my arms. "Thank you, Lyra. Thank you so much. I thought I was a lost cause."
    "I would never give up on you, Nellie. Now we're more connected than ever and I will make sure that you don't hurt innocent people. What would I do without my friend and favourite clothes designer?"
    "I don't mind you not wearing clothes," chuckled Rilos.
    "Pervert."
    "Hey, up there! Someone needs to come down and fight."
    "Learn to read the mood, Judge," replied my soul-mate. "Talia, your turn."
    She nodded and was done in less than a minute. She had torn him to pieces. Vriany's fight went more slowly. Not because he wasn't better but because he took his time to hurt his opponent. Everyone could tell how mad he was.
    "So this is what having a big brother feels like, uh?"
    "Yeah, and big brother should stop playing with cheap toys," Rilos yelled.
    "Is that an order, my King?" Vriany replied.
    "If it has to be."
    "This is your lucky day, scum," he grumbled to the man, lifting him by the hair before decapitating him. "Can we eat now? Fighting makes me hungry."
    "How old are you?" I laughed. "Today's my treat for ice cream, Blondie. You did good."
    "Hurray!"
    "I feel more like a babysitter than a queen."
    "That's part of the job, sweetheart. Come on, you need food."
    I ate, went out with Vriany for his ice cream, showered and listened to Satie's, Kylanne's and the four Alphas' rant about how reckless I had been. Rilos finally threw them out saying that I needed my rest. I grabbed his hand before he went to bed.
    "Rilos, hold me. Please."
    "I'm going to assume you don't mean as in just putting my arms around you." I nodded. He gave me a dizzying kiss. "This is not a good-bye thing. You will not die and neither will I. You are strong, Lyra. Never forget that. You proved it today, you'll prove it again tomorrow."