Chapter 75: Melt and Burn

Hey guys! Mid-terms are finally over :D Onward to one week of well-deserved vacations! Also, 28k views?! This is insane! I am so grateful that you still like my book at this point, because, let's be honest, it's been a while since I started it. Anyway, enjoy the new chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment! Love you all <3

    Before training, I showed him what I had done after I ran away from outside our room.
    "You are a fearful woman, do you know that?" he laughed, ruffling my hair.
    "I thought you were dying. I was beyond angry."
    "I'm happy."
    "Why?" I asked, surprised.
    "You were willing to kill someone for my sake, because she had hurt me. I can't explain it. It just makes me happy."
    "You're weird. Weird, but mine."
    "Stop saying that or I'm going to pass out from happiness."
    "Mine. Mine. Mine. Mi..."
    He slammed his mouth against mine, effectively shutting me up. Rilos could make me see stars in the middle of the day and I loved it. He pulled away, a satisfied smile on his face.
    "Just because you're able to shut me up, doesn't mean you should."
    "Are you complaining about my methods?"
    "Not really."
    "Good, because it's my favourite."
    "I can't go and take your favourite thing away from you now, can I?"
    "That would be kind of mean, but you can always say no or stop me if you so desire. I'll never force you to do something you don't want."
    "Like I would stop wanting to kiss you," I mumbled.
    "Don't entice me, sweetheart. We're supposed to go training."
    "Because that stopped you before, but since we will have to fight, and kill, in less than two days, I guess we should really stop before we pass the point of no-return."
    "Can you not be so reasonable? I'll have to actually listen to you."
    "Are you saying that you don't always listen to me?"
    "Uh? Sorry, what did you just say?"
    I stuck out my tongue at him and teleported myself to the arena. Now he would have no choice but to come here. The air shifted behind me and his arms snuck around me, bringing me closer to him. He pressed his lips against my temple and turned me around to face him.
    "I'm always listening to what you say, sweetheart."
    "I know. I just needed an excuse to drag you here. Let's train before we get distracted again."
    He looked me up and down, arching one eyebrow.
    "You are not dressed for fighting, Lyra."
    Right, I had high heels and tight pants on. Not the most practical attire. I removed my heels and, after a long mental deliberation on whether I should do the same with my pants, decided to transform them into shorts. After all, we were supposed to fight and me without pants would not help Rilos stay calm. My shirt wouldn't hinder my movements so I left it on. Rilos had changed as well and had replaced his button-up by a simple black t-shirt. It hugged him perfectly and I had to force myself to look elsewhere to not get sidetracked.
    "Rilos? Since it will be a fight to the death, I'll be allowed to use every power I have, right?"
    "Yes, but you have to remember that he'll be allowed to use his, even though I took them away from him. I will have to give them back to him when the fight start. This is why I want to train with you a bit more; to make sure that you will be able to counter them."
    "Is he stronger than me?"
    "No. Very few people are," he smiled. "I just want to be absolutely sure that you are not in any danger. I won't be able to stand it if you're hurt."
    I melted. He didn't want to train because he thought I wasn't strong enough; he simply didn't want me to risk being injured. I had to give him that. I did have a slight tendency to not think beforehand and get hurt in the process. I gripped his hand, pulled him down and gently placed my lips on his, savouring it. He smiled at me, with a mix of incomprehension and happiness in his eyes.
    "What was that for?" he whispered.
    "For being adorable. And since when do I need a reason to kiss you?"
    "Well, it's just that you do it so little that I was wondering if you had an ulterior motive."
    "I kiss you just as much as you do. I will seriously kick your sexy ass down and will make you apologize for saying this."
    "Because you think that you can win against me, red ridding hood?" he smirked.
    "Afraid of an eighteen years old, big bad wolf?" I laughed, escaping from his arms and fleeing to the other end of the arena.
    "You're the one who's running away," he commented, coming after me.
    I teleported a sword, but it disappeared immediately.
    "No weapons, sweetheart. You have to avoid close combat with him. He could touch you, cursing you at the same time. By the way, since it's not your main power, you cannot deprive him of his cursing ability. You have to find other means to end him."
    I flew out of his reach to examine the situation. How could I hurt him without touching him? Crackling. Orange and red invading my vision. No. I didn't want to see that again. Someone grabbed my arm. The back of my hand came in contact with skin and I scrambled away to avoid retaliation. Tissue, skin, heat. All around me. I was smothered against these things. I tried to escape, but their grip was too strong. Notes coming one after the other. Soothing. I relaxed, giving in. I clutched the shirt. A black one. I liked the scent. My gaze traveled up and met two chocolate rings. They approached and disappeared right when I felt warmth and pressure on my lips. Everything clicked into place. I closed my eyes and clasped Rilos' hair, losing myself in his kiss. He pulled back just as I was starting to miss oxygen.
    "Are you okay, Lyra? What happened?" he asked with a raspy voice.
    "I was thinking of a way to hurt Cerc without touching him and I just lost it. I could only think about what I went through. Fire. There was fire everywhere. I thought you were him. For a moment, I believed I was back underground."
    I felt his hand on my head, slowly caressing it. His other one was firmly holding my waist.
    "Are you absolutely sure that you will be able to kill Cerc, Lyra? You won't be able to hide behind fury. You will have to consciously take someone's life. Can you really handle something like that?"
    "I owe it to Delalie and to the rest of the Betas and Omegas."
    "You owe nothing to no one. Nothing that happened was your fault. You didn't have any obligation towards any of them when this was going on. They will understand if you can't go through with it. Killing someone is not something you can do easily. With each kill, a small part of you die with them. Few are willing to suffer the consequences of such act."
    "How dead are you inside, Rilos?" I asked, despite my fear of his answer.
    "Before I found you, more than I want to admit. Helping you grow silenced this part of me. Its size diminished drastically and I think that you will eventually make it disappear. Now, if you go through with this, I will support you and help you deal with the aftermath. I simply want to make sure that your resolve won't waver once the fight has started because I won't be able to come and finish it for you."
    It looked like I wasn't the only one who needed healing. Healing. That was the answer. I smiled at Rilos.
    "I won't waver. I will show everyone that I won't tolerate these kind of actions against the members of my pack. I know how I'm going to kill him, Elun, but I refuse to practice on you."