Chapter 5

Gray POV (Carmen in media box)
I can't believe I hit her. I'm turning into him. He used to hit them too.
I watched her throughout dinner. She didn't eat, didn't talk, didn't drink anything. Nothing, she just sat there and then got up and left.
Even from my seat, I could see her swollen, bruised face. I feel so bad and that's rare.
I excuse myself from the table and follow after her. As i see that she walks out the front door, I grab a first aid kit to at least help her injuries.
When I walk out, I see her in the distance. Making enough noise so that she knows I'm here, I move closer.
Laying a hand on the small of her back, she jumps away. "Uh, sorry. Thought we should get you cleaned up."
She looks at me with fear and caution and I can't help but feel something. What it is, I have no idea.
"Torrance, let me take care of you." I growl, taking a step forward only for her to take one back. "Please?"
I hold out my hand and she hesitantly slides her small, silky, smooth one in my large, rough, calloused one.
I notice she has rope burns on both of her hands, probably from the obstacle course.
"I need to take your jacket off." I say gently and she nods, not meeting my eyes.
Slowly moving the leather off of her body, I relish in the feel of her pale skin beneath my fingers. I keep my eyes on her arms and hands, noticing the small cuts she must have gotten from the barbed wire.
After tending to her hands, I move to her face. "I'm sorry."
Her gray eyes meet mine as my hands gently cup her face, the pad of my thumb running over her busted lip.
Grabbing a plastic ice pack, one of the ones that you just pound and squeeze and it becomes cold, and gently put it on her cheek.
"Why did you take me?" She whispers, her soft eyes filling with tears.
"I can't tell you." I can tell se's upset but she contains it for my sake. "You look like your mom."
She smiles sadly- well as much as she can with a swollen face.
"I know you want to go home." She looks at me. "But I can't let you."
She turns away from me and i know that she wants to cry. "Why, Gray? Why me?"
"I... I don't know." I frown, trying to figure why I did pick her out of all of her cousins besides the fact that se's the leader's sister.
"You should get to bed. You've had a long day." She silently nods and moves forward. I watch her go before turning and looking at the moon.
How could something so insignificant change everything?
And I'm not sure if I'm talking about the moon or Torrance anymore.