Chapter 19

Torrance POV
It feels like my heart drops to my stomach. I might never ever be able to walk again. Ever.
If someone were to drop a pin, the sound would echo off the walls. It's that silent in the room.
"Torrance." I look up when Dr. Conner gently touches my arm. "I promise you, I will do everything humanly possible to fix this."
I nod silently and turn my head back down to face the white blankets. I hear the door open and close quietly but I can still feel the warmth from Gray seeping into me.
"Torri... I-"
"Don't. Just don't. Go to Leah, she's your fiance. Not me." I say in a hollow tone.
He grabs my chin roughly and turns it to him, making me wince as he squeezes.
"If you think I'm still with her after everything that happened then you're seriously stupid." He growls, his eyes dark with fire.
He squeezes even more, making tears sting my eyes until he notices and lets go. His eyes widen and a bit of panic and fear enters them even though he hides it well.
Quickly, he stands without saying a word and fleas from the room. After waiting for him to come back for the next twenty minutes, I finally give up and carefully slide many body out of the bed, grabbing the crutches that lean at the end.
Slowly pulling a pair of shorts over my legs, I tie the side of the hospital gown at my waist since I don't have a shirt.
People give me solemn respectful nods as I crutch my way around the mansion, finally somehow getting up to the roof where Dorothy told me he might be.
Sure enough, there he was.
He doesn't glance back but stiffens when he hears the crutches. "What are you doing out here? You should be in bed."
Making my way over to him, I lean the crutches on the waist high wall and resting my elbows on the cool cement surface.
"You should be inside. Where it's warm." I whisper, refraining from shivering.
Instead of responding, he shuffles closer and wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me closer for warmth. I shiver against his chest, part of it in the sudden warmth, and the other in the closeness of him.
It's silent for a moment, the wind blowing my hair back. "Do you know why I'm a gangleader?"
"Some people... have bad pasts, they turn to drugs or alcohol or sex. You turned to making something you could control." I play with my fingers, leaning my body against his as I speak softly. "I don't really think anyone but you knows the complete reason."
"Good guess." I turn my head to him as he breaths out, his breath making a white cloud. His face is emotionless as he looks at me. "Get comfortable, Torri. I'm gonna tell you about my past."