Chapter 7

Gray POV (Brandon and Kyle in media box)
Looking through my files, I grab Torrance's picture from 7th grade. She was 12, meaning she's 16 and a junior now and she'll graduate just before she turns 18 in July.
It seems like all I can think about now, is Torrance. How I woke up to her wrapped around me and springing apart when she noticed is at the top of the list.
She barely comes out of my- well our- room anymore.
Sighing, I put away my paper work and stand. This will be the last resort. If nothing else works, this will.
I nod at some of the members walking around until I reach our room. Walking in, I see the teenager girl on the bed with a blank face.
"Torrance, this is stupid. You need to get up." I sit on the edge of the bed as she shakes her head. Grabbing her small waist, I pull her forward. She gasps.
"If you get up and go back to normal, I-I'll let you make one call." I'm hoping this works.
She pushes me a way and runs to the bathroom, turning on the shower. I chuckle as not even ten minutes later, she walks out in a leather crop top and leather shorts.
"Ready?" She nods and i start leading her to my office.
Pointing to the chair, I hand her my phone that's virtually untraceable.
"Mom."
Uh oh. I still haven't forgotten about her threat.
"Yeah, its me."
I hear the buzzing of someone speaking.
"Hey, King."
"Oh, please. You and i both know I would never be caught." What are you not getting caught for?
"But... actually, Gray, he... he's letting me call." Oh.
Even I can hear him yell from here as she jumps and pulls the phone away.
Her hand touches her cheek and I look at the ground, not wanting to see what I did to her. "No, he's not and yes he did, but not on purpose."
I look up, surprised that she's defending me.
"Does that mean you hit mom?" She waits a second before replying. "Thats what I thought. Being a gangleader can go two ways.
"The power can get to you and make you cruel and harsh and a cold-blooded killer. Or, you only do things to bad people, like rapists or pedophiles. Being a gangleader doesn't mean you kill anyone who steps foot on your territory. You know that."
For not knowing about this 5 days ago, she's taking it surprisingly well.
"Checkmate."
She loses her smirk and her eyes water a she swallows.
"Where's Brandon?"
"I'm going to beat him with a pillow and steal his Oreos." I chuckle quietly and she looks up.
Her gray eyes widen and i guess he heard me.
"No, it was the t.v." She's a good liar.
"How'd you know I was lying?"
She leans forward, resting her elbow on the desk.
"Aw, man."
"No." Her eyebrows crease.
"And what if I do? What happens when I don't have anything left, what do I do then?" She sounds like she's about to cry.
"I miss you, too." Not being able to stand any more of this, I tap my watch, telling her to hurry. "I- I have to go."
"I love you too. And if we never see each other again... " Oh, here we go. "I was the one who drank your beer at my 12th birthday."
She hangs up and i fight the urge to laugh.
"You drank his beer?"
"Hey, I was 12 and curious, leave me alone." She pouts her pink lips and crosses her arms, making her chest push up.
She pulls a necklace from around her neck and i see a rose gold heart locket.
"Can I see?" Observing the pictures, I see a family. Not just relatives but a real family. "Don't let anyone else see this. They'll either take it or try to kill you because you're related to them."
I hand it back. "The ironic thing is, I didn't even know about any of this and i could be killed because of it."
She looks at the computer monitor and pales. "Gray, are there supposed to be scary looking men with guns kicking down the front door?"
My eyes widen and run to the desk. On the screen is another gang, Criplands, kicking in the front door.
Pushing the emergency button under the desk, I grab Torrance's arm. "You need to get out of here."
"Where am I supposed to go?" She asks, tears in her eyes.
"Go to our room and behind the dresser is a dumbwaiter. Climb in there and I'll come get you." She nods and looks at me with fear. "It'll be okay. Stay down and be careful."
I kiss her forehead, my breath almost leaving my body at the feel of her being so close to me. Grabbing my gun from the waistband of my sweatpants, I quietly open the door and look down, making sure there's no one there.
Pushing Torrance out in front of me, I gently shove her down the left hall. "Go."
She hesitates before saying, "Be careful."
I watch her run down the hall, her barefeet hitting the tiles. I turn down the right hall and hold my gun up.
Clearing the corners, I see South and nod. In front of us is one door that's closed. I move up to it and hear noises of muffled screams inside.
Backing up, I kick it open. There are five men in a room full of the wives and a few children. South and i immeadietly take them out.
"Is everyone okay?" I ask, surveying the room for any threats.
"T-Torrance. Where is she?" My mom steps forward.
"She's safe."
"No, I saw her. She was running down the hall." My eyes widen as my mother becomes hysterical.
"Dorothy, you need to calm down. Where's Carmen?" She goes a pasty white as she starts sobbing.
"She fell and I couldnt get her." I move, running out of the room and taking any threats out.
An ear-piercing scream makes me speed up. Torrance. And then I hear a gunshot.
The stairs to the upper floor where my room is lay ahead. I see puddles of blood on the floor everywhere as I jog up the stairs.
Six gunshots come from down the hall where my room is. The door is split in half and wood shavings are everywhere.
Two men lay on the floor covered in tattoos and blood. Torrance sits in the corner of the bed and the wall on the floor, a gun in her shaking hands. I notice she's only in her bra and underwear.
"Torrance." She jumps and points the gun at me when I say her name. "Torrance, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. Give me the gun."
I hold my hands up in surrender as I take a step forward. Moving the gun out of her hands, she collapses in tears.
Stripping off my t-shirt, I throw it over her head.
"Carmen." She gasps suddenly and stands, running to the dresser and pushing it to the side to reveal the dumbwaiter.
She slides the door open and small arms wrap around her neck. Pulling a body out, I stare as my baby sister wraps her legs around Torrance's waist.