Chapter 38

*Vex*

Turning around the corner after the blonde Jake had been with ran off, our eyes landed on the blood pooling onto the grey stone. Walking towards it, I moaned a little as we got closer, until suddenly, it was a fight for survival. The killer popped out, pushing me back into the trees, grabbing Audrey and throwing her against the wall, her hand on her throat and the knife held high.

"What are you waiting for?" Audrey said. Standing up, I ran forward just as the killer brought down the knife, but for once, he was to late. I pushed him out of the way, causing Audrey to drop.

"Run!" I screamed. Audrey didn't waste anytime, picking herself up, she began to sprint in the other direction, me just behind her. Looking at her arm, I saw that there was slight cut on her arm where the killer must have nicked her when I pushed him away. Continuing to follow behind Audrey, I was suddenly grabbed from behind. I was to shocked to even scream as I fell onto my back. Looking up, a hand came down over my mouth just as I was about to scream for help. The killer looked down at me, the knife raised and I thought, this is it, you die now too. A white hot pain raced up the side of my face as the he slashed the knife over it. But he was off balance, ignoring the pain as best as I could, I kicked up, sending him sprawling over me. I was on my feet in a flash, turning to fight my attacker but he was gone. Instead, red blood was dripping down my face, blurring my right eye. Reaching up, I held my hand to my head, trying to stop the bleeding. Walking forward, I continued to follow where I thought Audrey might be. Suddenly though, she ran around the corner, her eyes finding me quickly.

"Vex! O my god!" She screamed, running to my side and putting an arm around me. I shook my head.

"I'm fine, really, just a small cut. We have bigger things to worry about." She nodded, looking back. Silencing ourselves, we could hear the sounds of footsteps approaching before they stopped. In the dim light of the pool house, there was shadow. Running towards it, we rounded the corner to see Noah, holding a crowbar and looking like he was going to throw up at the sight of the dead body. Rushing forward, Audrey touched his arm, causing him to spin around to us and scream. Even though he was completely freaked, I had never been so happy to see him in my life.

"Audrey!" He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her tight to him before looking back, his eyes landing on me.

"Vex?" He whispered. Audrey dropped her arms, pushing him a little. Me? I didn't need any help. Running forward, I launched myself into his arms, hugging him.

"O god, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I cried. He wrapped me tightly in his arms, his head burying itself into my neck. But then, the sudden realization hit him. He pulled away, inspecting my head.

"Come on." He grabbed the two off us, leading us back to the seats just as Emma and Kieran appeared. 

"Noah?" Emma cried, coming to sit beside both Audrey and I on the red cushions.

"It's okay, I'm fine." Noah said. 

"I'm fine, too." Audrey said. 

"Me three." I joined in, still clutching onto more forehead. 

"Oh, my God. What happened?" Emma cried, touching Audrey's shoulder gently as Audrey took off her coat, revealing just how bad the cut was. 

"I almost brained them is what happened." Noah said, examining the both of us for deeper wounds. 

"The killer was here. He killed Grayson and then he came after Vex and I." Audrey explained in a rush, looking over to me.

"How are you even alive?" Noah asked.

"Vex, she jumped at him just as he was about to do me in. The knife only caught my arm. Then, when we were running from our lives... I don't know, he got her I guess. When I came back after noticing she wasn't behind me anymore, I found her like that... then we found Noah." Noah looked over to me, his eyes holding gratitude yet concern. Gratitude for saving his best friend, but concern for me and the injury I held.