Chapter 34

*Vex*
I watched everything in what seemed to be slow motion. Sheriff Hudson, questioning me. Noah, holding me. Emma crying by my side as well as her mother and Audrey trying really hard to hold it together for me

"I don't know." I continued to repeat. It was something I had accustomed myself to saying now. 3 days had gone by, 3 days since I found my mothers body. Now, they were arguing about where I should go. Of course, their first thought was to stick me with my Aunt who lived right here in Lakewood. After mom had died, even she had come out of her depressive shell, going as far as to visit me at Noah's house. I couldn't stay with her though. She was always either in bed or in Nina's room. Noah had offered me to stay at his place but they only had the two rooms, his and his parents. Sheriff had said no right away. Finally, I was snapped out of my depressive trance at Audrey's small voice.

"She can stay with me. We have an extra room, my dad won't mind." As if to finalize it, she dug out her phone, calling her dad and putting him on speaker. His immediate answer was yes, no hesitation. So, it was decided. Until the state could figure out just exactly what to do with me, or until I turned 18, I would stay with the Jensen's.

Standing from the cramped little seat I had sat in for the last few hours, I gathered my stuff like a zombie, shuffling out of the station with Noah behind me.

"Please say something." He whispered to me as he climbed into the drivers side of my truck. I couldn't though. He blamed himself for this. The night my mother died, as I screamed for her, begging for it to just be a dream, I had heard Noah. He kept saying how sorry he was, that he already broke his promise. How could I say anything to him? He believed this was his fault when it was mine. I underestimated the killer...now my mother was dead. My eyes stared blankly ahead as he pulled out of the station, headed towards his house where I was staying again. Even if I now lived with Audrey, they couldn't keep me from staying at Noah's.

"It's not your fault." I whispered. The car practically stopped as Noah turned to look at me.

"It is. If I hadn't shown up, you probably would have been able to stop it from happening, she wouldn't be dead and you wouldn't be..." His voice trailed off, tears springing to his eyes. "You wouldn't be completely heartbroken. I wouldn't have to sit here and know I can do absolutely nothing to stop your pain." Shaking my head a little, I stared out at the road.

"All I need you to do is sit here with me. When you lost Riley, I felt the same way you do now. Useless. But, all I need you to do is don't ask me if I'm okay and stay with me." Turning to look at him, I let the tears come freely. "Because, I don't know how you guys are handling all this death, especially Emma. If I loose one more person...if I loose you, I'm going to loose it completely. My mom didn't deserve to die. No one deserves to die....except the bastard who's killing everyone." That was the most I had spoke in the last 3 days. That was the most I had said to anyone and Noah could see that. His eyes were staring widely at me as he nodded his head, letting the car pick up speed once more.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
*Noah*
She had spoken to me, leaving me shocked. All I could do was nod my head and speed up the car, I couldn't even think of anything to say. But, driving past her house, I knew I needed to say something when I heard her stifle a short sob, her hand flying to her mouth as she looked openly at the house.

"We're going to stop him Vex." She laughed maniacally, looking over at me angrily.

"At what cost Noah, huh? Who's next? Emma? Audrey?" She gulped, from the corner of my eye, I could see the tears pricking her eyes as she tried to remain calm. "You? How many more people have to die before we find out who's doing this?" Looking at her clearly now, I realized just how in bad shape she was right now. She wasn't angry, she wasn't sad...she was hurt. Her mom, someone she had, for the last week, completely ignored was now dead and she couldn't take that back. Driving the rest of the way to my house in silence, I wasn't at all surprised to see Audrey parked outside my house. She sat on the porch with a black duffel bag and a pillow, her head lying on her head.

Pulling up into the driveway, her head shot up, a smile lighting her face. As I rolled my eyes, I looked over to Vex who just seemed to share blankly into space, not even noticing Audrey. Sighing, I unbuckled both of us before getting out and walking over to her side. Opening the door, I stood up the on step, grabbing her hand.

"We will catch him." I said in reassurance. She tried, I give her that. She tried to fake a smile but it only dropped. Instead, her pink lips quivered, tears appearing in her eyes before she launched herself into my arms, sobbing once more. Continuing to hold her, I let her cry it out before helping her down and turning to Audrey whose face had fallen.

"Come on, it's been a long day. No one will blame you for going to be early." Audrey said, stepping to Vex's other side and placing a comforting hand on her back.
<><><><><><><><>
*Vex*
I smiled down at the food in front of me, it was my favorite of course. They had made it for me to try and cheer me up.

"Thank you guys." I said softly, looking up at them both. Their eyes no longer held the sadness that they had looked at me with, instead, they were angry. "Guys? What is it?" Suddenly, she came from the living room, blood seeping down her shirt as she cried.

"Why Vex? You promised to protect me! But no! You let me die!" She screamed at me, lifting her face. The jagged cut across her throat stood out against her pale skin. Her eyes were sunken in but blood poured from them as well. Looking back to Noah and Audrey, I saw Noah with a massive hole in his chest.

"Why Vex? I thought you loved me?" A cry escaped my lips as I pushed back from the table.

"I do Noah, god, I'm so sorry. Please..." He snarled just as Audrey did the same, a knife sticking from the middle of her forehead.

"You were supposed to protect us all and you FAILED! How could we ever be your friend?" I shook my head, continuing to take large steps back as they advanced...all of them.

"Please, please, please..." Turning around, he was right behind me. With all the strength I had left, I let out an earpiercing scream.

Thrashing about, I fought hard against rhe mad man, pleading for Noah, for Audrey and for my mom.

"Please, no!" I screamed again, shutting my eyes tightly.

"Vex!" I could hear Noah screaming as the killer tried to hold me back, tried to kill me.

"I'm so sorry...!" My cry was muffled by someone putting their hand over my mouth. Shooting open, my eyes came inches away from Audrey's. There was fear in them, as well as confusing. Trailing down, I saw that it was her hand against my mouth. Turning slightly, I saw Noah behind me, holding me back. The tears pricked again and I felt myself begin to shake uncontrollably. Falling back, I stayed in Noah's arms as I cried, heart wrenching sobs shook through me as I clutched onto Noah's shirt.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." I continued to whisper through the cries. They asked me what that meant, but I could only continue to cry.
---------------------------------
Short chapter but I hope you guys liked it. Next chapter won't be as depressing but you can't go from loosing your mom to happy go lucky so quickly. Yes, this book is almost done. Yes, there will be a sequel :).

Vote/comment and follow!

~Lily