Chapter 36

*Vex*

As I sat in my car in the empty field, I couldn't help but hopelessly stare out the window. There was no more I could do, and it hurt like hell.

"I have to do this." I said, still keeping my back to Noah.

"No, you don't Vex. Listen, the caught him okay. Mr. Branson's the killer.  He's in jail now. You don't have to do this." I shook my head.

"No, I don't believe you." I shouted at him, still keeping my back to him. He began to speak but I stopped him. "Goodbye Noah." I began to walk away, but stopped for a small moment. "Please don't hate me." I whispered, so low, he would never hear it. Then, I was out the door and in my truck before I could blink. That's when the pain really hit me... that's when I realized no matter what I did, stay with Noah or leave him, the killer had won.

I blinked back more tears, slamming my hand down on the steering wheel as I tried to calm myself down. He had been telling the truth. Not long after I had started driving, when I was finally able to calm myself down, I received a call from the sheriff, asking if I would come in. He told me everything, how they had caught him. I simply hung up though. I couldn't, not now, not ever. If he was the killer, I would go insane. Now, I continued to sit in the field, watching the sunset. So wrapped up in everything that was going on, I realized that it was only 3 days until Halloween. That means I've been here for 3 months. How had everything happened so fast? The sun sinking lower, my eyes began to close as I realized just how tired I was. Sinking down in my seat, I locked the doors before crossing my arms over my chest, letting myself drift off.

<><><><><>

I woke to the sound of my phone ringing violently, its persistent chime shaking me from my nightmares. Bolting up, I knocked my head on the roof the car, causing a sharp pain to shoot through my head. Touching my forehead lightly, I picked up the phone, looking at the calls. There were 5 from Audrey, 7 from the sheriff's department and 1 incoming one from Emma. None from Noah. Of course not, he poured his heart out to you and you stomped it into the dirt, even if it was to save him. Answering the phone, I groaned a little.

"Hello?" Emma's reply was almost instant.

"Hey, I need you to meet Piper and I somewhere. We found Brandon's mother and...considering what's happened, I thought you'd want to come. Maybe get some answers about your dad?" I stifled a gas, nodding my head before realizing I was on the phone with her.

"Yeah, just give me the address. I'll be right there." Emma quickly gave me the address, pronouncing each word clearly before saying a rushed "bye" and hanging up. Starting the car, I was just about to drop the phone before I realized that I had so many missed calls. Picking up the phone, I decided I'd call Audrey first.

"Vex! My god, I was so worried! After you ran off, no one could find you... no one had even heard from you! Are you okay?" A small smile lit my face.

"Yeah, I'm fine..." I whispered softly. "How is he?" She sighed on the other line. I wasn't there, but I knew he was with her, I just knew it.

"Devastated. Emma rolled through, came to talk to us. Before she left, she asked about you and Noah...well he stormed out. I don't want to say it but-" 

"He hates me." I finished forward, sighing as I leaned back in my seat. I knew he would. I guess that softened the blow, the fact that I knew this would happen. "Look, you have to know I did it for him. I'd rather him hate me than be dead." 

"I know. And I want to thank you for that. He's my best friend, so are you but, I've gone a lot of my life with only him. To make that choice, well I will never be able to thank you enough." I chuckled a little, though it hurt to do so.