Chapter 37

*Vex*

Tonight was the night. I had already received the text from Emma, asking if I was going. After the big reveal that my mom was actually my mom, it was like being hit by a truck all over again. Now, living out of the back of my truck because I was to chicken to go to Audrey's, I sighed, looking down at the text. Replying back with a quick yes, I decided I would. Noah and I hadn't said a word to each other since the break up, both of us avoiding the other at school. What if Mr. Branson wasn't the killer? Shaking my head, I put those thought's aside, of course he was the killer. Reaching in the back, I pulled my dress up to the front. I had bought a Victorian styled dress, one that was absolutely lovely to wear as a costume. Of course though, I couldn't do my hair, couldn't do-. My phone began to ring again, causing me to jump slightly. Looking down, I saw that it was from Audrey. Picking it up, I sighed.

"What?" She chuckled on the other line. 

"Wow, glad you're so happy to hear from me. Listen, you're coming to my house and we're going to that dance in style. Afterwards, we're going to hit up Brooke's place." A small laugh shook through me.

"Really Audrey-" 

"No, you're coming here. No arguments." Rolling my eyes, I groaned.

"Fine."

<><><><><><><><>

After a couple hours of hair and make-up, courtesy of Audrey, we had left the house, heading to the dance. We both looked completely awesome and badass but I couldn't help the worry in my gut begin to grow. Arriving though, I let it go as we entered the gym, immediately grabbing drinks from Ms. Duval.

"Thank you." I whispered before walking away with Audrey, straight into the crowd. At first, I couldn't see Noah anywhere... a good and bad sign. Then, I saw him. Our eyes met briefly as he began walking towards us.

"Hey, I'm going to head to Brooke's early. I just... I don't want to be here." Audrey turned to see Noah and nodded, a sad smile on her face.

"You should talk to him." I shook my head, just as he stopped in front of us.

"Bye." I whispered to both of them before scurrying off, only to be intercepted by Emma.

"Vex! You made it! I didn't think you'd come." Her eyes traveled down my costume. "Wow, you look amazing." I smiled a little, chuckling nervously. 

"Thanks, look... I'm heading out, sorry." Her eyes softened. Looking behind me, I guess she saw the reason why.

"You need to talk to him Vex. Yeah, he's pissed at you, but it's because he's heartbroken. He doesn't think you love him back." I shook my head, pushing past her.

"Not tonight, I just... I can't." Then I was out of the gym, sprinting towards my car before anyone else could stop me. What was I supposed to do? I just couldn't yet. I loved Noah too. I admitted that to myself finally, but how could I say that to his face, knowing that when he gave me the option, I chose to leave him? I did it to save him of course, but I couldn't face him now. Hoping into my truck, I pulled out of the lot, headed for Brooke's. Tonight was the night to sit back, maybe have a drink and forget about everything. 

Getting to Brooke's of course was not as easy as it sounds, pulling up, I pulled off the dress and put on a Led Zeppelin tank top, leaving on the jean shorts I had worn under my dress. Hoping out, I made the walk up to her place, my car parked all the way in the back from all the traffic. When she saw me, her eyes lit up a little, her body leaning forward.

"Hey Vex, what are you doing here?" I shrugged, looking past her to where all the drinks were. I wasn't in the mood for chit-chat, not yet at least.