Chapter 9

*Vex* Flashback

Staring out my window, I felt the same pull that I had been feeling for the last few weeks. I wanted to leave- to get out of this town. For the last month, I let my boyfriend Wes convince me that if we ran away together, our lives would be so much better. And truthfully, maybe it would be. My dad, a major drinker and my mom who always worked. Perfect combo for a starting out journalist. I don't even know how I had come to meet Wes, I generally spent my nights alone in my room- to scared to ask my dad for anything and to weak to live a little. Usually, I would write. My principal gave me full control of the schools paper for that reason. He knew that I wasn't a party animal, druggy, or drinker. And he knew that I would get the job done. So that's what I did, I wrote. Somehow, that led to me meeting Wes. He was the stereotypical perfect male specimen- one girls fawned over and threw themselves at every chance they got. What surprised me the most wasn't that he began talking to me, it was the fact that he took an interest in me.

I was your typical nerd girl- of course I was, I stayed home on Friday nights while others went to party, get drunk and have forgotten sex. When I first met Wes, I thought he was the same as them- but was pleasantly surprised when I learned he wasn't. He loved to write and he held a connection to the world that words cannot explain. He was the perfect person, at least I thought he was. After about a month of dating him, things began to change. His moods began to grow dark, and he talked about running away- about bringing me. Now, my initial thought wasn't "Maybe he isn't the guy for me." it was "Hell yeah, when we leaving?"  I guess things had gotten worse at his house, his parents had finally given up on their boy. Then he assumed, if his life was bad, mine was too. So, he talked me into it. Everyday, he would plan our escape and then feed me tales of how our life would be after we made it out- away from our parents. Of course, I was a love struck girl- one so naive. I believed every word of it, breathed it in like it was law. Of course, he reveled in it, he loved the power he held over me.

Two days before we were supposed to make the escape, I went out for the first time in my life. I had heard Wes would be at a party near the abandoned farm just a few miles from my house. Of course, I thought my dad was sleeping. I thought, he'll never catch me- never know. I even went as far as to go out the front door. He wasn't going to catch me, he was sound asleep in his drunken slumber in the upstairs bedroom. Of course though, I was wrong. Driving to the party in my beat up BMW, I arrived just in time for the fire. It's flames crackling into the sky, illuminating each teenager with its bright colors. That's when I first saw him, he was standing over by the fire- two girls on his arms. He seemed to be having a good time, he was comfortable. They were laughing and smiling as he told a funny joke that he had probably told me a million times. Que the dramatic music please? I of course walked up to him, told him how angry I was while my vision was clouded with red. I believe I even slapped him, but even a slap couldn't show him how much I hurt. Then, the yelling began. What scared me the most was that it wasn't coming from him, nor any of the teenagers at the party. Turning around to my utter horror, was my father. He carried his shotgun- the one he always held in his lap from years of drunken fear. He was barreling forward, his eyes twinkling that familiar gleam.

"Evangeline! You little bitch! Get back to the house! I swear to god child, I'm going to beat the living daylights outta ya!" What I didn't expect was for Wes to drop the girls on his arm and step in front of me, blocking my father off. Maybe it was his idea of redemption, or maybe he knew all to well what my father could do when he was drunk. I don't know what was running through that boy's mind, all I knew, is how thankful I was. Teens around us shouted in horror, some going as far to call 911. Truthfully, I didn't understand that. When the cops do show up, they'll all be taken in for drinking under age, but I guess teens get real stupid, real fast when there's a drunk guy with a gun.

"Step aside boy, I'm not afraid to shoot you dead." My father went as far as to hold up the gun, aiming it straight for Wes' s head. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of the girls who had been hanging on Wes's arm. For a moment, our eyes connected before she did the most stupidest thing I had ever seen. She jumped at my father, causing his finger to slip. The gun went off and I didn't even have time to react. Wes's dead body crumpled into me. Slowly, I slipped to the ground, clutching onto his body as I cried. Blood seeped from his forehead where the bullet had went in. Looking up, I saw my father's furious eyes as he flung the girl on his back off, turning to her.

"Why you little whore!" He screamed, grabbing onto her hair. By now, a few bigger guys stepped up, running to the girls aid as I continued to cry, just watching my father. He either didn't notice the rock, or didn't care. He slammed the girls head down, causing it to hit directly on the jagged edge. you didn't have to be an expert to know she was dead right away. In the distance, I could hear the sounds of sirens as they began to draw closer, but what caught my attention was the two guys who had stepped up to my father who was completely lost to rage. He grabbed one of the boys, throwing him back against a nearby tree before aiming his gun at the other and shooting him in the stomach. Screams erupted, like a chorus of bells but jagged and horrified. My scream was one of them. I looked back down at Wes, his eyes still wide open in horror. 

"Why? Why did you step in front of me?" I cried. My trembling fingers reached up, stroking his small mop of sandy blonde hair. Those blue eyes, they looked back at me with fear. "Why did you have to do that Wes?" Cries raked my body as I looked back up. My father was walking over to the other boy who was propped up against the tree, preparing to grab him. I noticed that the gun was no longer in his hands, instead, it lay on the ground. Standing up, I walked over to it, grabbing it. I knew how to handle a gun, it was one of the few things he had ever taught me. Carefully, I cocked it before aiming it at his leg. He was inches from the boy who was pleading for his life, his hand just millimeters from the boys face. With a deep breath, I fired the gun- earning a howl of pain from my father who collapsed to the ground, clutching his wounded leg. Shakily, I dropped the gun, slowly walking back to Wes and collapsing to knees as I pulled his head back into my lap. The sirens were here now, there was lots of yelling as finally, cops broke through the trees, guns up. I refused to move as they cuffed my father, as the boy told him I had saved his life. I just continued to hold Wes, continued to hold the one who had stood up for me in the end. The one who died to preserve my freedom. I thought back to the other day, when we had been discussing what we would do when we ran away together.

"Well, I think we should open an internet blog. Between the two of us, we could make it a hit- make millions like freaking YouTubers." He had said. I had laughed along, feeding this fantasy he had.

"What would it be called? What would it be about?" I had asked. He simply smiled at me, that charming smile I had loved so much.

"Well horror movies of course, our favorite thing. As for what it would be called, well, I think it should be called The Last Scream. You know, because our blog will explore the horror movies we know and love, we would be going back to them for one last scream in order to understand the movie better." I had looked him in the eye that day, and I knew I would make that happen. Now, looking down at his lifeless body, I let out a choked sob.

"I'll do it, Wes, okay? We're going to make it big together, you just wait and see." Then, the police took his body away.

-------------------------------

Background! And no, this was completely spontaneous and completely not planned out. I have no clue how I came up with this and yes, you should all be terrified (just kidding.)

Keep voting and commenting/ following! I love hearing from you guys and what you think of the story.

~Lily