Chapter 10

*Vex*

"Wait, you're telling me your dad just went psycho because your boyfriend stood up to him?" Emma asked, she seemed to realize the way she said it because she put a hand over her mouth. "I'm- I uh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that." Wincing a little, I shook my head.

"It's fine, I'm used to it. Yes, he didn't like to be stepped up to and it didn't help he was drunk. If he was sober and that girl hadn't jumped at him, Wes would still be alive along with those 2 others." Audrey stared down at the table, her mind racing over something.

"Vex, you just told us the secret. This creep can't use it against you if you tell someone. What are you hiding? If that was the full story, it wouldn't be something the killer could use against you." Looking away from Audrey, I stood up off the stool.

"I think I'm going to go now, I'm sorry." Audrey let the rage build onto her face as she shouted at me.

"You think you're the only one who's scared Vex? We're trying to fucking help you but you can't let us!" I was out of the cafe in a flash, popping open my truck door and slamming it behind me. Tears began to flow down my cheeks as I opened the mirror above me, wiping my eyes off. When I looked into those blue eyes, I didn't see me, I didn't see Vex. I saw a murderer.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

School days, the one thing I now dreaded. After the fight with Audrey at the cafe, we hadn't spoken a word to each other. I even went as far as to ignore Noah. If this fight was going to end our friendship, I wasn't going to try to bring Noah into it. I would just leave him alone- besides, he has Riley now. Sitting in my same seat, I simply ignored it when the seat beside me shifted, indicating that Audrey was here. No words passed between us and, when I looked up, I saw Noah staring incredulously at us both. Looking back down, I continued to stay silent until the bell rang and class began. The teacher had been looking around the room for something, probably papers or our homework. With a loud bang as he closed the filing cabinets, he began to talk.

"See, Aristotle asked, 'Why are we here? What is the meaning of life in the face of death?'" Suddenly, I heard Jake speak up being the smartass he is.

"Bet Tyler's wondering the same thing right about now."

"Thank you, Jake." Mr. B replied, continuing to look under things. What could he possibly be looking for?

"See, Aristotle also understood that volatile relationships, well, they can lead to tragedy." Like you and Brooke, Mr. Branson? I don't know why that flew into my head, but it was true. Was their romance only going to end in tragedy?

"Looking for something Mr. B?" Brooke chipped up.

"We're all looking for something, Brooke. See, desire, that's at the heart of drama. Desire for love. Power. Money. I'm talking about Jason and Medea. Talkin' about Anthony and Cleopatra. I'm talking about Emma and Kieran." My head snapped to Emma, her eyes widening.

"Excuse me?" She asked, her eyes filled with shock.

"I'm splitting you all into pairs. Uh, you and your partner will choose a dramatic scene to preform in class. Now, let's not just limit ourselves. We can... choose something contemporary like movies. Audrey and Will.

"If you suggest the pool scene from the Wild Things, I will end you." Audrey said, speaking for the first time, I sneaked a glance at her but quickly looked away.

"Or, if that's to much for your attention span, pick a favorite TV show. Since there is an uneven amount, I'm also adding Vex to your group Audrey. Riley and Noah." He was going quick, shooting out pairs but I wasn't listening now. I was in the same group as Audrey, this would not end well. Looking over at Audrey once more, I saw the scowl clearly etched across her face.