Chapter 30

*Vex*

"Spotty cell signal but this is definitely the area." Noah said as we looked around, trying to find a way into the building. Once we had got here, everyone had jumped from the car except for Noah and I, we had stayed back. Only for a few seconds of course, just enough though to tell the other to be careful.

"Okay. Creepy building, psycho killer. Time to weapon up. I got a skinner and a gut hook." Jake said, pulling out a sharp looking knife from his back pack. Stepping forward a little, I looked at his hand.

"Wait, why, exactly?" Noah asked.

"Yeah Jake, seriously?" Jake smiled at me, I don't know, maybe it was because he was holding a shark weapon, but he scared me. 

"To skin and gut things?" He said as Emma's phone rang. She quickly picked it up, recognizing the caller ID. 

"Kieran! Uh, not exactly." She replied. I could hear his voice faintly on the other line, but also Emma's anxious face told me she was hoping he'd hurry up. "I can't tell you right now." A for more seconds and she replied again. "No, it's not what you're thinking." Shooting a pleading look at me, I shrugged. What do you say to your now new boyfriend when your on the hunt to find your now ex boyfriend?

"Yes, I'm safe." She sighed a little. "I-I'm gonna need you to cover for me, okay?  Yeah. Yeah, helping her study for midterms. Thank you so much. I owe you one." Then, she hung up, looking back at us. 

"We gotta find a way in." Brooke said, leading us all down the stairs to Emma. Emma stumbled for a moment before the light bulb went off behind her eyes.

"Okay. You guys go that way. Noah, Vex and I are gonna go this way and we'll meet you around back." I almost choked, that was her great idea. I guess Noah thought the same thing cause he stepped forward a little.

"That sounds like the first of many bad decisions." He said, taking my hand in his.

"It does Emma..." Turning to Noah, I whispered the last part. "Though I feel better that you're in my sight and not with Jake." Noah nodded, understanding what I meant by that.

"Write your blood type on your boots and leave your letters to your loved ones. Let's Shake n' Jake." Jake said, taking off with Brooke while we began to make our way around the other side. 

"Noah, you have to stop doing that." Emma said once we rounded the building. As we walked, if I didn't know any better, I would swear Noah was stepping on ever thing that even made a squeak. But, I was too. There was just too much glass. Clutching onto his head, I continued to walk, trying to avoid the glass that was crunching loudly under our feet. 

"Well, I would walk backwards, but there's a lot of broken glass." Noah replied.

"You're making me more nervous than I already am, okay?" Emma seemed a bit snippy, but I could tell she was trying her best to stay calm; I mean, we were looking for her ex boyfriend who was quite possibly dead.

"Sorry." Noah mumbled, continuing to walk a little. Suddenly, he turned to me, still holding my hand as we followed Emma along the side.

"As much as I enjoy a good indie horror flick, in real life, it's just really terrifying." Chuckling under my breath, I nodded.

"Yeah, it's just, something doesn't-" It's like Emma read my mind. Our legs stopped moving as she looked around.

"This doesn't feel right." She whispered.

"I mean, why is he changing the game all of a sudden? It's 'cause he's playing chess instead of checkers. It started with Riley, and now Will. He's making you responsible for who lives or dies and I have all of the pieces to lose. He's hiding behind a mask." What could his entire point be? I mean, me and Emma have no relation, we're not even close friends. Why would the killer want to harass me as well? Then, with Emma, why her? Why take everything from her?