Chapter 7

*Vex*

After we had got into the school, I went straight to my locker with Noah while Audrey went off to hers. Gathering my books, I laughed along as Noah recited the story of how in 3rd grade, he had spilt water all over his pants, making it look like he had wet himself.

"You know Noah, I would have loved to have been friends with your 3rd grade self. You seem a lot more interesting in that time period." He scoffed, rolling his eyes as he leaned up against the locker.

"Whatever, but-" Suddenly, all the phones around us buzzed as well as our own. Looking at Noah, I crunched my eyebrows before unlocking the phone. It was a gif of a man in the Brandon James mask, standing in front of a pool. But in the pool, was Nina's body. Covering my mouth, I let out a surprised cry. The picture said "Paybacks a bitch." Looking over at Noah, I stared wide-eyed at him.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Sitting beside Audrey in class, I let out an aggravated sigh. Who was this sick bastard? Why would he send this, especially in the mask. Looking at Audrey, I watched as every couple minutes, she'd look down in her bag, checking her phone.

"You okay?" I asked softly. She gave me a sad look, shaking her head.

"Rachel hasn't texted me back and I'm starting to worry. After that gif, I'm just kind of freaked out." Nodding a little, I looked up as Mr. Branson who let out a sigh.

"Alright guys, you know, phones down." He said, causing a groan to roll through the classroom.

"But, the Brandon James GIF put us on the map, Mr. B. I mean, we've got like seven of the top ten trending hashtags right now." Mr. B rolled his eyes at Jake.

"You know, maybe you should focus more on your studies and less on Lakewood's web-buzz." I chuckled slightly, looking back at Audrey who was still looking down at her bag.

"Who can resist a murder selfie?" Jake countered, trying to convince Mr. B otherwise.

"Which is what the killer is counting on." Noah added, looking at Jake before looking back at Mr. Branson. Mr. Branson smiled, shifting on the desk so that he was facing Noah.

"All right, Will Graham, what is this killer's design?" He questioned, crossing his arms over his chest. Noah smirked, already prepared to answer the question.

"Well, murder's a lonely game, you know. I mean, say you're the killer, okay. You sneak into Nina's house, you skulk around and scare her and then you kill her. Boom! But then what? You take a victory lap around the pool? You just stand there, watching the blood spread out in the water, thinking your crazy guy thoughts." Noah said.

"Creepy monologue alert." I heard. Looking over, I saw that it had come from Brooke.

"So maybe it's no good if he's the only one who's watching." Riley replied, directing the topic back to the story. Standing up, I winked at Noah before taking over.

"Exactly, yeah! It's the age of Instagram and YouTube and Tumblr. I mean, we need to share the things we do...or it's like it never happened." Suddenly, a phone began to ring. After finishing my little speech, I looked over at Noah, pouting slightly but earning a thumbs up from him. Chuckling, I sat back down, looking for the source of the phone. It was Riley's.

"Riley, phones off." Mr. Branson called, causing heads to snap in her direction.

"Sorry Mr. B. My friend from Saint Mary's texted. A girl that goes there died." I looked over at Audrey scrunching my eyebrows. I watched her face change completely at the mention of Saint Mary's. Her hand shot into her bag, pulling out her phone. She was completely pale.