Chapter 6

*Vex*

I should have just stayed in bed this morning. Waking up, I knew it was going to be a crappy day. So, I threw on a pair of skinny jeans, a Last Scream merch hoodie and put my hair into a bun. When I went downstairs, my mother was no where in sight. She had been gone for awhile now, probably working late shifts at the hospital. My mind was on the messages again as I drove to pick up Noah so we could head to the station. As soon as he hoped into the car, we were off- I wanted this over and done with. Looking over at Noah, he had a scared straight face, his eyes closed as he tried to breath evenly. Laughing a little, I reached over, giving his hand a squeeze.

"It's going to be fine Noah, I don't think he thinks we murdered someone." Noah looked at me, opening his eyes as he smiled slightly. 

"Let's hope so." Smiling, I decided to joke a little to lighten the mood.

"Look Noah, I just got out of jail and I an't goin back. If he tries to take us in, I'll shoot him, then use you as a hostage and we'll escape together." Noah let out a snort, throwing his head back. "Feel better now?" I asked. He nodded, smiling over at me as we continued the drive. Once we pulled in and were inside, the sheriff wasted no time.

"So, Brandon James. I mean, you really think it's healthy to have an obsession with a serial killer?" He asked, sitting on his desk as me and Noah sat side by side in front of him. I shrugged a little, letting Noah talk.

"Brandon's actually classified as a mass murderer. You know, he killed them all the same night." I nodded looking up at the sheriff.

"And really, now-a-days, horror is such a big genre that, if you have the right mindset and aren't completely insane, having an obsession with it isn't anything wrong." The sheriff stared at us as I spoke, thinking over something.

"You ever have contact related to the events of that evening? Halloween '94." I looked at Noah whose eyes were fixated on something on the sheriff's desk as he spoke.

"When I was in seventh grade, I was doing this report on nature versus nurture, and Brandon seemed like the perfect subject. Yeah, so, I exchanged a few e-mails with his brother, Troy. And, of course, I've tried to identify the mystery girl that Brandon was in love with." Sheriff raised his eyebrows, ignoring me completely.

"Well any luck?" He asked.

"No." Noah replied. "None of my theories panned out."The sheriff nodded, turning to me.

"What about you, any theories on Daisy?" Actually, I did. I posted about it often.

"None that have worked out, but moving here, it's opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities." He didn't say anything back, his eyebrows scrunching.

"Either of you ever contacted Kevin Duval?" The survivor. Didn't he live here at one point?

"Oh, no way!" Noah exclaimed. I looked over at him, trying to understand why not. He was the survivor, I would be dying to contact him but I could never find his email, I only knew that he still lived here. "Survivor stalking is seriously rude." Well we don't have to agree on everything, though I can see his point. I've never gotten to contact him anyway. "Plus, Emma's in my class. Not that I wouldn't love to ask him what it was like to face off against Brandon James, but, you know, boundaries."

"Plus, he doesn't live here anymore." The sheriff said. 

"And that." For a minute, there was silence as the sheriff nodded, looking in between the two of us.

"Okay, well, I think we're done here." Noah stood up, letting out a relieved sigh. As I went to, I was suddenly pushed back into my seat.

"Not you Ms. Wilson, I want to talk to you about something." I looked at the sheriff wide-eyed before looking at Noah. He was as confused as me.