Thank You

It was in the afternoon when they left the cabin, an awkward tension was still among them. No one knew how to react to what had happened last night. And once again Nessa and Eric were somehow placed into a car together while everyone else was in the other van. 

After minutes of music playing to fill the quiet void they both didn't want to face.  Nessa bite down on her bottom lip. "I didn't get to say thank you last night." Nessa whispered quietly, her eyes puffy and red from all the crying she had done. Her eyes were were fixated on the the scenery that was passing by their car, she was fiddling with her fingers in nervousness. 

Eric let out sigh, knowing that this was was coming. He reached for the radio to turn it off so it was only silence that could fill the car. 

"When do rehearsals start?" He asked, ignoring her Nessa's thank you. 

She looked over at him. "I said thank you." 

"I heard you loud and clear, Young." 

"Then say you're welcome." 

He glanced over at her. "Look, it's no big deal. I save life's all the time." He told her in a teasing tone. 

Nessa rolled her eyes. "Shut up." She hit his arm lightly, fixing her eyes back on the scenery. 

They remained silent for a couple of moments when Nessa looked over at Eric. "Why did you come back to the beach anyway?" 

"Why are we talking about this anyway?" 

"I just want to know." She threw her hands in the air.  

He sighed. "I knew I couldn't leave you with that creep so I told the guys that they should come back with me to clean up." 

"How did you know that he was no good?" She questioned. 

"I'm a guy and I know what guys want." Eric ran a hand through his hair in distress, just thinking about it made him angry. "He was looking at you in a way that was sickening." 

Nessa nodded, she couldn't be more thankful for Eric. "The wedding is coming up really soon." 

Eric had already turned the volume on the radio. "No need to remind me, Young." 

"You need to reminded." She rolled her eyes. "You forget everything." 

"I do not." 

"Trust me, you do." Nessa crossed her arms over her chest, ready to test him. "When is their wedding anyway?" She asked, facing him. 

He hesitated. "Soon?" 

"Exactly, Hamilton."

"Shut up." He glanced over at Nessa's back. "How's your back?" 

She adjusted herself. "It hurts." 

Eric's hand tighten on the steering wheel. "That perv, I could've killed him." 

"Settle down, tiger. " She told him, noticing the anger in his voice. "It's done and over with. You saved me."

He lessen his grip on the steering wheel and turning the volume on the radio louder, tuning out Nessa. Once again she looked over at him, this time she looked a little longer. She couldn't fight the smile on her face.