Still Can't Believe

"Where is this guy?" Nessa breathed out, as she looked down at her phone. It's been thirty minutes of waiting, and she didn't know if she could wait any longer.

Suddenly, her phone began to ring loudly.

"Where are you?" They both asked at the same time.

"Stop saying the same thing as me." Nessa frowned.

"I asked first." Eric retorted.

Nessa rolled her eyes. "I've been waiting for thirty minutes. Where are you?"

"No, I've been waiting for thirty minutes. Where are you?"

"I'm at McDonald's," Nessa answered she adjusted her glasses which were falling down the rim of her nose.

"We're supposed to meet at Burger King," Eric replied in frustration.

Nessa threw her hand up in annoyance. "How does McDonald's sound like Burger King?"

"Well! You did call me at 3 in the morning. Don't expect me to listen to you." He retorted, rolling his eyes.

Nessa let out a groan. "Get over here."

Eric stayed quiet for a minute as he continued to read the menu. "No, you come here."

"Let's just meet at my apartment." She frowned and got up. "You're impossible." And with that, she hung up.

After a couple of minutes, they finally met at the same place.

"This is ridiculous. You bought food and didn't think about getting me some?" Nessa glared as Eric ate his food happily.

Eric continued to eat, ignoring Nessa's voice. "Sorry, what?" He brought his hand to his ear and got closer to Nessa. "I'm just enjoying this burger so I can't hear you right now."

"Eating has nothing to do with your hearing, doofus." She snapped, throwing a pen at him that was on her coffee table.

He dodged it and continued to eat.

It was silent for a couple of minutes, only the faint sound of the tv playing in the background. Nessa was looking through Wedding magazines, thinking about what her best friend would adore while Eric ate.

"I'm thinking of glitz and glam themed wedding." Eric gave Nessa a goofy grin as he emphasized the words glitz and glam with strong hand movements.

She gave him a weird look and shook her head. "That is the total opposite of what they would want."

"How do you know? Are you the one getting married?"

"Shut up; I still can't believe they paired me up with you."

Eric shrugged and took a long sip of his drink, his eyes watching Nessa who was looking closely at her magazine with a look of concentration.

He always thought Nessa was pretty with her dark brown hair that flowed perfectly over her shoulders and how her warm dark eyes twinkled whenever she laughed, but among their bickering and countless fights, Eric couldn't see Nessa anything more but an enemy.

"Could you stop staring at me, Hamilton." Nessa looked at him, as she cocked an eyebrow. "It's getting creepy."

"You wish that I was staring at you." Eric teased her, his cheeks turning a light pink from embarrassment. He quickly got up, picking up his garbage then walked over to the kitchen. He hoped that Nessa didn't catch him blushing because he knew he wouldn't the end of it.

Nessa raised an eyebrow as she watched Eric quickly get up, hoping that his cheeks weren't a shade of pink and that she only saw things. They hated each other, and that would never change.