Mama's Boy

Eric sighed as he entered through the hospital's doors a bouquet of yellow tulips in his hand, the familiar smell surrounding him. He smiled at the receptionist who was typing furiously on the keyboard in front of her. 

"Goodmorning, Eric."  Ms. Jones greeted with a sweet smile on her face. Ms. Jones was a little old lady who regularly visited her son who's been a coma for a year now, she was extremely kind towards Eric which is why he considered her to be in his family. 

"Hey Ms. Jones, how are you?" Eric asked, giving her a hug. 

She laughed lightly and pulled away, letting a sigh. "I'm doing well, darling. Just waiting for my Henry to wake up." 

"Someday he will just keep waiting," Eric reassured her, smiling. 

"Well, how's your mother?" She asked, looking up at Eric. 

He let his shoulders fall a bit. "Still fighting." 

Ms. Jones smiled sympathetically and pinched his cheek lightly. "Alright, darling. I'll see you soon." 

He nodded and waved goodbye as she left and with that, he quickly made it to his mother's room on the second floor. When he got there he stood beside the door and took a deep breath in and fixed his hair, he hasn't been able to visit his mom for a while which made him feel guilty for not taking the time for his own mother. Finally, he entered the room quietly seeing that his mother was laying on the bed while looking out the window. 

"Hey, ma." He greeted, standing in front of her bed. 

"Is that my only son visiting me?" His mother asked, sitting up her eyes still fixed on the scenery outside. "I must be dreaming because my son hasn't visited me in two and a half weeks." 

"Ma." Eric frowned, rolling his eyes. He walked over the side of her bed and kissed her forehead, hiding her favorite flowers behind his back. "I have something for you." He handed her the bouquet of tulips and smiled. 

She took them and finally looked at him with the same ocean blue eyes Eric had. "Thanks, pumpkin." 

"Anything for my beautiful mom." Eric took the bouquet of tulips back and walked towards a vase with dead flowers in it.

She rolled her eyes. "Don't be such a suck up." 

He gasped. "Mother, I am not being a suck up." Eric reached for the vase and was about to throw away the wilting roses when his mother stopped him.

"Don't throw those away. Your father gave them to me."

He frowned and held in his annoyance. His father was way too busy living his own life to be taking care of his mother, about every 2 months he would come visit her which would only last about 10 minutes until he would run off due to an urgent meeting. Eric never knew why his mother loved him still, why she looked at him with such admiration when he couldn't even look at her at all.

"Alright." Eric moved over to another vase with wilting flowers and took those instead, dumping the flowers into a nearby trash can. He walked over to the washroom and filled the vase up with water, placing the yellow tulips after.

"Where have you been up to?" His mother asked as he walked back into the room, putting the vase of flowers onto the window sill where the sun could hit it perfectly.

"Oh you know, stealing cars."

"And getting high." His mother added. "By the way, do you have the drugs I wanted you to get?" 

Eric chuckled and rolled his eyes, he took a seat on a chair that was beside her bed. His eyes looking at his mother who seemed to be getting thinner and thinner each time he visited her, She had chronic Leukemia and every time he saw her something about her would change, like how her extremely pale skin was now scattered with bruises and red spots. Sometimes, when he would visit all she did was sleep because of how fatigue she felt. His heart broke every time he saw her. 

"Besides that, what else have you been up to?" She asked, reaching over to hold his hand noticing the thoughtful look he had on his face. 

"Lillian and Will got engaged." 

She grinned happily. "Finally! I knew they would end up getting married." 

"I know you did, ma. You would never shut up about it." 

"That just proves how right I am." 

"Remember Nessa Young?" Eric asked, trying to stop himself from saying it with disgust. 

"Yes, of course. Your future wife." She teased with a playful smile on her face, knowing that they both loathed each other. 

"Ma, don't say that." Eric frowned, hoping desperately that it wasn't going to happen. "They asked me to the best man and they asked her to be the maid of honor." 

"That's not so bad." 

"They also want us to help plan their wedding." 

His mother began to wiggle her eyebrows at him. "You know what this means, pumpkin? You two are next." 

"MA!" Eric shouted with disgust. 

***

Hey guys! I just wanted to create a chapter based on Eric's relationship with his mom, so you all have more of an idea of what he's going through and kind of guy he is. Thanks again for reading! Hope you ya'll stay until the end! You guys are the bomb! XOXO