Is this a joke?

"Noooo!" Nessa shouted with frustration, pacing back and forth across Lillian's living room.

Eric was sitting on the couch, his eyes following Neesa who was angrily walking back and forth.

"Stop walking around! You're giving me a headache." He groaned, massaging his temples.

Nessa turned to him and stuck out her tongue, rolling her eyes at him.

"Real mature, Young." He told her, sticking out his tongue back at her.

Nessa stuck out her tongue at him again. "Stop being such a child."

He let out a dramatic gasp, placing a hand over his heart. "Me? A child." He pushed a hand through his dark brown hair, a smug look on his face while crossing his arms over his chest. "I'm the most grown-up person here." His eyes didn't leave Nessa as he threw his legs onto the coffee table but failed miserably as he missed the table by a little, making him lose his cool appearance.

"Stop making a fool out yourself, Hamilton."

William and Lillian watched their friends worry plastered on both their faces. Lillian let out a quiet sigh and looked over at Will who looked just as stressed out.

Nessa turned to Will and Lillian. "Why would you pair me up with this thing?" She pointed a finger at Eric who was attempting to lay his feet on the table without looking. "You know we hate each other!"

Lillian chewed on her bottom lip, not deciding to answer.

"On the very first day we met each other, he threw an earthworm down my shirt!"

Eric stood up. "Well, you hide all my clothes while I was in the changing room during gym so I had to run around the school with toilet paper wrapped around me!"

Nessa turned to him as she glared at him. "You told Francis that I kept plastic body parts in my closet."

Eric turned to her and glared back at her. "You told my ex-girlfriend that I made booger statues!"

"She wasn't even your girlfriend, in fact, she thought you were a creep!" Nessa picked up a pillow from the couch and hit him with it. "You're a horrible excuse for a human being!"

Eric picked up another pillow and hit her back. "Oh shut up! You should be happy that-"

Nessa interrupted him by hitting him hard again. Eric did the same, and with that, they continued hitting each other as much as they could while insults left their lips.

"YOU MADE MY LIFE MISERABLE!" They both shouted at the same time.

"Copycat!" Nessa spat like it was the worst insult ever.

Eric chuckled, hitting his knee for a dramatic effect. "Ouch, Young. You've really hurt me this time."

Nessa began punching his chest but Eric continued to laugh as he placed his hand on her forehead keeping a good distance where her little arms were only punching the air between them.

"You two are ridiculous, just grow up already!" Lillian shouted loudly, her eyes filled with tears. She quickly left the room with Will following close behind her.

Eric pushed Nessa back onto the couch. "Good job, Nessa! You made her cry."

Nessa's hair was a mess as she was sprawled onto the couch, half of her body hanging off the couch. "You started it." She quickly got up and flicked Eric on the forehead, following after Lillian.

***

"Honey, please stop crying." Will cooed, as he rubbed Lillian's back.

"We made the wrong decision, they'll never get along," Lillian whispered, pushing a hand through her hair. "Not even for us."

Nessa awkwardly tapped on the door. "Hey...Can I come in?"

Will nodded and got up, leaving the room.

Nessa made her way to Lillian, taking Will's previous spot. "Sorry, Lil." She wrapped an arm around the heaving girl. "I promise I will cope with working with Eric"

Lillian looked up at Nessa, hope in her dark brown eyes. "Promise?"

Nessa nodded, letting out a sigh. "Promise."

Lillian smiled and lifted her pinky. "Pinky promise?"

"Lil, do we really have to?"

She took Nessa's hand and wrapped her pinky around hers. "Pinky promise?" She pressed again.

"Pinky promise," Nessa answered, wrapper her pink around Lillian's.

"It's for a year, Nes. Be nice to him for a year."