t h i r t y - f i v e

We laid in bed all day that next day. Cuddling, talking about life, and napping. I admit that I needed a day like that. Ever since Luke and I admitted our feelings for each other, we couldn't keep ourselves away. Which resulted in no rest days, no recovery days, and no days without Luke.

But then Calum calls.

And the much needed rest day comes at a cost. A cost I never expected to pay.

Brandon.

Now Brandon was never really a friend, nor a lover. Brandon was a person who happened to be in the right place at the right time for my sexual needs. And I now regret ever being a hormonal, horny seventeen, almost eighteen year old girl.

Because that's what got him killed.

He never did show up for work. Luke said that he quit. There was no explanation, nor did I demand the explanation that Brandon must have given. But now I realize there was no explanation. There was no quitting notice. He just never showed up.

I feel for stupid for not recognizing that something was off in Brandon's disappearance.

"Lottie," Ashton interrupts me from my thoughts, "you've got to stop stressing."

I wonder for a quick moment how he could tell, before he answers my thoughts for me, grabbing my hands and holding them in his lap, my nails completely destroyed.

"Oh." I say, resting my head on Ashton's should, grabbing my phone from the couches arm, where it has been all day. I unlock it, and wince at all the missed calls and messages that Luke has left. He's probably been like this all day, in a frenzy about where I've gone, and why I've left.

I only wonder if he is putting two and two together and discovering that I know about Brandon. I unlock my phone and clear the notifications, going to my messages, having a few from Danielle, and one from Calum.

Luke must have called her and asked if I was there.

Danielle: Where are you?

Danielle: Why is Luke freaking out?

Danielle: Lottie what the fuck is going on?

Danielle: Lottie you're freaking me out

Danielle: If you're not going to answer Luke at least please tell me you're okay

Me: I'm okay, please don't tell Luke, but I'm okay

Danielle: Where the fuck are you... I need to at least know that you're safe