e i g h t e e n

e i g h t e e n :

I grab my towel off the floor and wrap it around me, while Ashton quickly finishes pulling up his skinnies.

Luke’s face is full of anger, but as Aunt Maddie laughs and Ashton and I hold our breath, he sighs and put on a little smile. Ashton and I both let out a small laugh of relief as Aunt Maddie slowly closes the door and mutters something to Luke.

Ashton and I rush to get dressed completely, still laughing about what just happened, relived that Luke didn’t lash out. But it’s so strange that Luke didn’t ash out. He always has when it’s come to guys. But now I’m practically naked in my room with Ashton and he laughs.

Something is wrong. So wrong.

I only hope that it has to do with the fact that Aunt Maddie is here.

I don’t want it to be like the other night.

I slip on a graphic tee from Hot Topic and match Ashton with some ripped up black skinnies before slipping on hot pink socks and pulling my wet hair into a messy bun.

Ashton wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me in for a long, soft kiss before holding my and as we make our way down the stairs to my doom.

Aunt Maddie and Luke are sitting on the couch cracking up about something while Ashton whispers in my ear.

“How old is she?”

“Almost 30. But she looks forever 21.”

He nods in agreement.

“C’mon you two love birds,” Aunt Maddie calls out to us from the couch after we were spotted, Luke still not angry, “Come sit down so we can do something together.”

As we get closer to Luke, I see something that I’ve rarely even seen, as long as I’ve known him. He was crying.

Aunt Maddie came to make sure her younger brother was okay. She wasn’t able to make the funeral.

I give Luke a slight smile before sitting on the love seat couch next to Ashton who instantly puts his arm around me, kissing my cheek.

“Shall we watch a movie? Play a bored game?”

“I bet I could kick all of your asses in Apples to Apples.” Ashton says with a cocky grin plastered on his face.

Luke lightens up instantly. That’s his favorite board game.

“You’re on.” He says.

We pull the coffee table closer to us and Luke retrieves the game from the cabinet, pulling out all the cards.