t w e n t y - t h r e e

t w e n t y - t h r e e :

Right after Aunt Maddie doubted me both Luke and Aunt Maddie burst through the door.

Luke's eyes catch on the ripped envelope on the bed, and the letter in my hand before his eyes lock with my teary ones.

"I told you that you couldn't read that." Luke voice cracks before giving into a hint of anger. "You didn't need to read that."

"That's why you hated Ashton." I choke out, "Because of what Mom did with his father."

Luke nods.

"I was scared that the same thing was going to happen to you. That he was going to record you and ruin you."

"Ashton is nothing like his father." I spit at him, "Ashton would never do anything like that. He wouldn't hurt me, he loves me."

"But you don't love him." Luke says, "That would give him a reason to record you. To blackmail you into loving him. Those tapes can ruin people Lottie. I've seen it happen to a couple of my friends. They got recorded and they paid the price. That's why you need to find the right friends and the right guy. I'm just afraid that Ashton will be like his father. I'm afraid he'll ruin you before you get the chance to thrive."

I sigh and grab one of the extra pillows scattered on the bed, placing it over my head, screaming, letting the cover and the darkness comfort me as I think.

Ashton or Luke.

There's a difference.

They are both appealing but in different ways.

Ashton is hot, not only for his ripped body but for his nice personality.

Luke is appealing in so many more ways. Ways that aren't right, but the way he bites his lip ring, the way his eyes scan up and down my body make me feel like the most beautiful girl. The ways his hand fit into my curves and the way he's gentle with me like a glass doll makes me feel like I mean something.

I want to mean something.

And with Luke, I do.

"I won't tell." Aunt Maddie sighs, running her hands through her hair, she eyes tired. "But Lottie, break up with Ashton, he deserves to be happy. He's a good kid and doesn't need to be cheated on." She says.

I've liked Ashton since freshman year of high school. I'm going to miss my chance at what I've wanted for the last four years. All for Luke. This is what I have to do to prove it to not only him, but Aunt Maddie that I truly do love Luke and care for him.

I nod, looking to the letter, my eyes scanning over the random words.