Chapter 80 : « the cards of destiny are dealt again.»

Monday December 18, 20xx, a few hours before Big's escape

Neutral point of view

Life goes on. Despite the workload they have, Vegas and Pete find moments to enjoy life. They gradually find a balance between studies and moments of rest.

This is how they were able to escape the frenzy of student life by exploring the majestic Appalachians. Armed with backpacks and provisions, they set off on the winding paths that wind through the mountains. Their steps took them through dense forests, clear streams and sunny glades where they enjoyed impromptu picnics.

Another time, Vegas and Pete, accompanied by Déborah, decided to travel Route 6, a legendary road that crosses Pennsylvania. Their hair blowing in the wind, they drove through picturesque little villages and bucolic landscapes. They stopped at roadside cafes for fresh fruit tarts and took photos in front of vintage signs.

Another weekend, Vegas and Pete decided to explore Philadelphia's bustling urban scene. They wandered the cobblestone streets of Old Town, discovering historic sites such as the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. They then made a stop in the city's artistic districts, where they admired colorful graffiti and street art installations before meeting at a trendy café to sample local specialties.

For a relaxing break, Vegas and Pete decided to spend a weekend at Lake Erie. They rented a quaint cabin and spent their days exploring the peaceful shores of the lake. They kayaked at sunrise, lounged on the beach, and enjoyed fresh seafood at local restaurants. In the evening, they admired the spectacular sunsets that painted the sky in shades of pink and orange.

All this, at Vegas' expense. It's a gift for her boyfriend Pete, very devoted to him. Like a loving Daddy, Vegas works to fulfill Pete's every desire, ensuring his partner is happy and fulfilled. Even though Pete enjoys a certain financial comfort, Vegas continues to act as a true protector and benefactor by taking charge of many aspects of Pete's life.

This generosity and concern are an integral part of their relationship, strengthening the bonds that unite them and creating a bubble of happiness and security around them. Also Pete began to realize his limits, deciding to end his work in the chic restaurant he was used to working with as part of his law degree. Now that he is on the other side of the planet, he could not continue working there.

It was with an almost heartbreaking farewell but with the promise of stopping by to see his former colleagues that Pete flew to the United States with Vegas. He had planned to find a job near the University in order to continue living simply, but he realized that he would not be able to perform at all, finding it too tiring given his new responsibilities.

With Porsche's unexpected inheritance, he now has the means to live comfortably without having to worry about making ends meet. Pete has never been happier until now but...

.... despite this apparent tranquility, an insidious shadow hovers over their world. Unaware of the imminent danger, Pete and Vegas continue forward, oblivious to the storm brewing on the horizon. This storm is called Big. His menacing shadow still hovers over them, ready to unleash his anger and sow chaos in their peaceful lives.

Finally, Big was able to get news from his Father Chan, through an encrypted message, transmitted by one of the nurse accomplices. Big knows he's going to be released soon and that helps him hold on. He who wanted to end his life, now finds a new reason to live: revenge on Pete and Vegas will be his priority.

As for Arm and Pol, he learned that they were with Chan and Time. Anger still possesses him thinking that they have scratched the protection of his brother and his father. They won't let him punish them the way he wants but that's not a problem now. He'll deal with them later.

For now, he needs to regain his strength and think about how to put his revenge plan into place. For him it will be about separating Vegas and Pete and ensuring that they no longer end up together in this life.

In his bed, Big already dreams of his newfound freedom. He will disappear from Thailand never to return, as he should have done a year ago.

One thing is certain, Big will not make the same mistakes, which will not prevent him from making new ones. Just like him, KIm is not perfect. 

Despite his global surveillance networks set up to watch over Vegas and Pete, he will not see Big's escape happening and will take it head-on.

This is how the cards of destiny are dealt again.That the players watch their games carefully.